The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 24, 2000, 11:39 PM   #1
mamor

I have a new Charles Daley 45 and it jams at least 1 in 7 shots.It jams with a spent shell halway pulled out of the barrel or the shell makes it out far enough to lodge in the slide.I have tried all different bullets and new clips and I am not limp wristing.Any other suggestions?Thanks.

------------------
"No weapon formed against me shall prosper" Isaiah 54:17
Old January 25, 2000, 08:29 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Mamor, very rarely is this caused by the ejector. There are 3 primary reasons for this type of jam. 1)Load too light for recoil spring weight. 2)Extractor tension too light. 3)Insufficient grip on gun. Since you also mention that sometimes they don't make it to the stovepipe position (caught between the slide and breech)it almost has to be your extractor. If you will go to http://www.m1911.org/technic.htm and you'll find an article written by Bill Wilson on adjusting your extractor. If after reading it you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, either take it to your local smith or you can e-mail me. I'd be happy to do it for you. George
Old January 26, 2000, 11:11 PM   #3
mamor

went to the web site and followed directions.It is shooting like a champ!Thanks George.

------------------
"No weapon formed against me shall prosper" Isaiah 54:17