The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 3, 2000, 09:35 AM   #1
Ned Roundtree

Well, its been a number of months since this was last discussed. And the manufacturers sure have brought out some new models. Navy Arms .44 Russian, Cimarron Lightening, US Arms Omnipotent to name a few. And RAE brought up the pending Ruger price increase coming. My question is what is your favorite shooter now? What are you shooting? And do you have your eyes on anything now?
Old January 3, 2000, 07:03 PM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Ned,

My favorites,and the ones I shoot in matches,are Uberti 1875 Remingtons. I've got one 5 1/2" and one 7 1/2",though I like the shorter barreled one better. They're good,reliable shooters,and a match doesn't go by that someone doesn't comment on them.

Bellicose Bill
Old January 4, 2000, 05:17 AM   #3
Ned Roundtree

Me? Oh, I've got two Ruger Vaquero Bisleys in .357. blue, CH, stag grips. Action tuned by Oglesby & Oglesby. Love my Rugers. Got a couple of cowboys up here that shoot Remingtons- Tioga Kid and Fencepost to name two. Got to love the authentic guns.
Old January 5, 2000, 10:12 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Have a pair of Vaqueros myself with stag grips. Would like to get Lightning (have a broken original in the safe) but would then have logistics problems with ammo supply. Will probably stick with present arms.
Old January 6, 2000, 08:17 PM   #5
Trigger Jerk

I have three Ruger Vaqueros (one of each bbl length) in 45 Colt. I shoot two in main stages and the 7 1/2 bbl is sighted in for long range pistol. I will also use it as a backup stage gun.
I'm very pleased with them and don't plan to change. I do however, plan to buy more cowboy pistols.
Old January 7, 2000, 03:17 PM   #6
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

My ONLY cowboy gun is a ruger vaquero 44 magnum (ok I'd have to shoot specials for cowboy) in glossy stainless with ivorex frips in a Trailrider products custom crossdraw cavalry holster.

Would also VERY much like to see a lightning replica for sale in 38/357 or 45

Dr.Rob
Old January 8, 2000, 11:33 AM   #7
Ned Roundtree

Any one seen one these Navy Russian 44 revolvers? I've seen about a half dozen Schofields at the matches. But never this gun. Is it out yet?