The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 24, 2004, 09:16 AM   #1
caddisfly

Pump vs. O/U for hunting? Benelli Nova vs. Stoeger Condor

I'm on a budget, (less than $400) and I am looking for a 12 ga. that can do it all. I want to Duck and Goose hunt the most, but I would also like to give turkey hunting a shot as well. I dove hunt, but have my grandfathers Rem. 1100 20 ga. for that. I have narrowed the feild down to 2 guns. The Benelli Nova pump, $299 new, which has remavable chokes, synthetic stock, and can take a 3.5 inch shell; or the Stoeger Condor O/U , $329 new, removable chokes, 3.0 shells, walnut stock. Any suggestions on pump vs. O/U for hunting are welcome, as well as comments on the reliability of the two gun companys. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by caddisfly; September 24, 2004 at 01:36 PM.
Old September 24, 2004, 02:09 PM   #2
CarlosDJackal

I own a Stoeger Condor II in 12 GA and I wish I had bought a Benelli Nova instead. The Condor is an alright gun, but I just don't like the balance and feel of it. I only use it for trap and skeet shooting, but I can't imagine having to carry that damn thing all day while hunting. YMMV.

Last edited by CarlosDJackal; September 24, 2004 at 02:41 PM.
Old September 24, 2004, 06:32 PM   #3
johnbt

O/Us are a pain for me to open and reload in a tight duck blind. Or a floating blind for that matter. I just use an old 870 Express 3" or a newer 1100 with 2.75" Hevi-shot.

Can't help with the pros and cons of the two guns you're looking at.

John
Old September 25, 2004, 10:23 AM   #4
caddisfly

Thanks for the coments on the condor as well as the comments on the use of O/U in a duck blind. Thats the kind of info I'm looking for.
Old September 26, 2004, 10:38 AM   #5
K80Geoff

Never take a gun duck hunting that you are not willing to use as an oar
Old September 26, 2004, 06:42 PM   #6
johnbt

"...oar"

Or as as a push pole when the oar sinks out of sight in the muck or breaks on the ice (Unload the gun first of course). We don't carry spare oars, only spare shotguns.

John
Old September 27, 2004, 10:47 AM   #7
trapperready

Of the two, I would opt for the Nova. Given that it's synthetic, it will be a little more tolerant of abuse/neglect which can be part and parcel of waterfowling. It also handles the larger shells, which can be important if you want to shoot steel.
Old October 17, 2004, 11:06 PM   #8
hutnhut

I'm in the same boat!

I just held a Stoeger today in the store. I don't know anything about them either. To break and close it, it seems VERY stiff! Then again, it was new. I have also thought about the fact that, a O/U holds two rounds, and a pump or semi plugged hold three rounds. I hunt upland game as well as waterfowl. I think I am comming to the conclusion that a O/U is GREAT for skeet, and sporting clays, but my Rem 1187 is a hard to beat field gun!
Old October 17, 2004, 11:09 PM   #9
hutnhut

Oh and also about steel!

Someone mentioned that if you want to shoot steel. By all that you listed that you hunt, it is federal law that you use non-toxic shot. Steel is expensive enough, let alone tungstun or bismuth!