The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 11, 2004, 11:50 AM   #1
witmen

mossberg persuader

Hello everyone this is my first post on this, hopefully someone will be able to help me. I have the 20 inch 8 shot persuader 500, and I'm wonderin what the hell makes a 590A be able to have that one extra shell. do they count the speed loader stock or is it actually a extra shell in the magazine tube? I've heard many people say it's the mag tube, If it is in the tube how can I make mine have the one extra?
Old September 11, 2004, 01:57 PM   #2
Andrew Wyatt

they count the chamber as the extra round.
Old September 11, 2004, 02:25 PM   #3
witmen

well either way mine with me counting the chamber is only 8, 7 in the tube one in chamber I know there counting the shell in the chamber, but they have 8 in the tube. just don't know how the hell the magazine tubes can be the exact same length but not the same capacity.
Old September 11, 2004, 06:44 PM   #4
readyfire

If you measured shells side by side to the mag tube and it was 8 maybe the compressed spring and shell follower are taking up that room for the one.I did that measurement with my rem 870 and thats what i can figure.Mine is 7 shells long,but holds 6 and 1 in the chamber.
Old September 12, 2004, 02:01 PM   #5
Andrew Wyatt

the screw assembly takes up some room, and the gun holds 7 3 inchers or almost butnotquite 8 2 3/4 rounds in the tube.

i need to make a longer follower for that blocks the capacity to exactly 7 2 3/4 rounds becaue i never shoot 3 inch magnums.
Old September 15, 2004, 12:19 PM   #6
Rocco

I'd say that the extra 2 3/4" round fits in the 590s thanks to the different magazine and magazine cap assembly (takedown screw) Mossberg designed. The 500s have a captive takedown screw on the barrel hanger and the mag tube have a peened end wherein the cap is screwed.

Between the OAL of the 500 mag end assembly plus barrel hanger and takedown screw and the 590's, one can easily see where the latter's extra round capability comes from.

Rocco
_________
Si vis Pacem, Para Bellum -+- Audaces Fortuna juvat
Old September 16, 2004, 09:15 PM   #7
CarlosDJackal

Magic!!
Old October 8, 2004, 09:33 PM   #8
FreakyBig

Anyone else had problems with 3" shells ejecting? I've got a Mossberg 500 and use Federal 00Buck Magnums and had to switch from 3" to 2 3/4" because I had a hell of a time with the shells hanging up on ejection. I havent tried anything other than the Federals, I just went to the 2 3/4" for sake of reliability.