The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 25, 2002, 08:32 AM   #1
notos&w

shotgun books

i am a neophyte shotgunner, having only enough wingshooting experience to have developed many bad habits. now that i have a range to shoot at im interested in correcting my form and getting better.
can anyone suggest a book(s) that might be beneficial to a beginning trap/skeet shooter?
thanks
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes....Such laws make things worse for the assualted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicide; for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Cesare Beccaria, On Crimes and Punishments (1764).

Last edited by notos&w; November 25, 2002 at 10:56 AM.
Old November 25, 2002, 01:16 PM   #2
retiredsquid

May I recommend the following book: "The Gun Digest Book of Trap & Skeet Shooting," by Chris Christian. My copy is the 3rd edition and includes information on Sporting Clays as well.
Rich
Old November 25, 2002, 03:55 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Shotgunner's Library can be found under Dewey Decimal Sytem #799. Good ones include....

Shotgunning, the Art and the Science, by Bob Brister. About 20 years old, but it's a vital resource.

Score Better At Trap, by Fred Missledine. Also not new, but a great readup for trapshooting.

The Little Trapshooting Book. According to friends, this is good also.

And for specific questions,ask rat cheer, Lots of experience among the regulars...
Old November 25, 2002, 04:31 PM   #4
huntsman

I'm going to really blow you mind my favorite book if you want to really learn to shoot a shotgun (not for organized Trap or skeet)

ORVIS wing -shooting handbook by Bruce Bowlen.

This book is If you want to get the most out of a shotgun as a wingshooting tool.