The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 1, 2001, 09:59 AM   #1
cobraman

Need some refinishing help

Hi guys I need a little help with a project Browning Hi Power I am working on.
Its a Nickel Chrome model. I am replacing the factory sights with a Brazos fibre optic front and Heine Rear, installing a wide combat trigger and replacing the factory safety.
I am almost done with all of this work. I would like to refinish the gun, but I dont know where to go. I would like the gun to have a Black slide and green frame to match the rest of my guns.
Can I have a black finish applied over the hard chrome? If so who can do this for?
Or can I have the Hard Chrome stripped and then have the gun refinished.
I am not in a huge rush to do this but I would like to have the project complete sometime in the near future.

Thanks guys
Old November 1, 2001, 02:17 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Cobraman, I do this for folks with teflon. It can be applied right over the chrome or you can strip it first. George
Old November 1, 2001, 02:27 PM   #3
Keith J

You cannot get anything to stick to chrome and when it chips, you will see the chrome. Real ugly.

You said "chrome nickle" I don't know what that is...chrome is like a mirror. Nickle is softer and warmer, more like stainless steel. Ni also is usually a matte finish although it can be polished.

Ni is much easier to strip than chrome. Either way, the plating has to go.
Old November 2, 2001, 09:22 AM   #4
cobraman

Ok I have two different answers here. I am go with George's solely because I know he does refinishing in his shop.
I think it would be best to teflon coat over the chrome.
Man that will be a corrosion resistant finish.
Old November 2, 2001, 11:12 AM   #5
Keith J

I don't do guns but I do have experience with one of the major brands of PTFE finishes. Most of their types require an anchor profile that is nearly impossible to do on hard chrome.

If you can bead/fine grit blast to achieve a good anchor, the teflon will work. I have seen a 120 grit blasted part, electroless nickled and then PTFE coated stand up well to sliding with minimal surface wear.

All of the chrome surfaces I've done have chipped badly as the grit blasting just dulled the polish. I guess I could have gone to a larger grit but that would have defeated the tight tolerances.