The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 21, 2017, 01:46 AM   #1
Everymanalion

Do you think Savage will cover this under warranty?

Bought a new Savage rifle back at the end of October, barely shot it(work too much:/), wiped down the barrel with some CLP and made sure everything was dry, literally within 30 SECONDS of putting on the CLP ONLY that one spot about an inch by inch started to rust and the blue dissapearing, this happenend NOWHERE else on the rifle with the CLP added. I was thinking about buying some bluing product and re-doing it myself but I want to see if Savage will replace the barrel as its obviously a problem with the finish of the barrel, I am within my year warranty but I read somewhere they wont help you if the finish comes off but its legit ONLY on that one spot and it makes no sense. I am kinda freaking out as I take super good care of my rifle.

Anyone have any advice or experience dealing with a warranty for this issue? I am somewhat new to guns and this is my baby and it is driving me nuts.

http://imgur.com/a/x6ynx

I know it looks like rust but even when I wipe it away with some gun anti rust stuff the blueing under is brighter than the rest of the gun and obviously an imperfection and the rust just comes right back in a couple hours(Yes hours.)

I have never stored the gun wet, it has only been fired maybe 3-4(100 rounds total) times since October and CLP has been applied to EVERY other area of the gun without any problems except this one area on the barrel. This is my first time applying CLP to it.
Old January 21, 2017, 02:30 AM   #2
Everymanalion

Also could a gunsmith fix just this little part if savage wont? Its not JUST rust but the blueing just on that little area is coming off:/
Old January 21, 2017, 04:20 AM   #3
Blindstitch

I would contact Savage. Worst thing they can say is no.

This is right on their website.

What is covered?

Any defect in materials or workmanship (performed by Savage Arms) encountered during normal use.
Old January 21, 2017, 08:12 AM   #4
big al hunter

Try Savage first. If they find some reason to get out of repairing it a gunsmith can take care of it. Let us know what happens. I am thinking about a Savage as my next purchase and would like to know if they are any better than Remington has been lately.
Old January 21, 2017, 11:57 AM   #5
Everymanalion

I emailed them with pics and hope to hear back by Monday. thanks guys
Old January 21, 2017, 02:41 PM   #6
g.willikers

How well does that barrel shoot?
If you have been lucky enough to have gotten a really accurate one, it might be better to keep it and live with the bluing problem.
If it's just another common barrel though, then it might as well get replaced if possible.
Just a thought.
Old January 21, 2017, 06:08 PM   #7
mehavey

Quote:
...within 30 SECONDS of putting on the CLP ONLY that one spot about
an inch by inch started to rust and the blue dissapearing,...
I seriously doubt that's rust, per se -- but the blueing has sure disappeared.
Personally, I've never seen anything quite like that before.

Last edited by mehavey; January 21, 2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old January 21, 2017, 06:52 PM   #8
Everymanalion

If Savage won't help me I am thinking about taking ALL the blueing off the barrel and getting some high heat engine paint and doing a very thorough job with the barrel because it looks like ****. and No it is not super accurate either. I hope Savage helps on monday:/ I feel they are going to tell me im SOOL. Any other advice or ideas or experience with Savage?
Old January 21, 2017, 07:52 PM   #9
mehavey

Looking at it again, that appears to be a blueing process defect wherein the metal had not been absolutely/completely degreased before going into the salt bath.

I have a hard time thinking Savage won't make it right.

(Whatever you do, don't paint the barrel. Beauty is as beauty does.... How does it shoot?)
Old January 21, 2017, 07:57 PM   #10
Everymanalion

Shoots....eh:/ I am thinking about just selling this rifle and getting a new one, had lots of problems in 2 1/2 months thanks for help everyone
Old January 22, 2017, 07:38 AM   #11
Mobuck

Sounds like you're not happy with the rifle. Clean the area and apply some cold blue. Then sell/trade for another. Keep in mind--it's a Savage and not known for the quality of exterior craftsmanship or finish. I use Savage rifles because they're accurate and easy to maintain, not because they have pretty stocks and deep high luster blue.
Old January 22, 2017, 03:17 PM   #12
dgludwig

Quote:
Looking at it again, that appears to be a blueing process defect wherein the metal had not been absolutely/completely degreased before going into the salt bath.
I'm thinking the same thing. And, if that's the case, no amount of "re-bluing" that specific area it is going to make much difference.
Old January 24, 2017, 09:53 AM   #13
johnwilliamson062

Would real bluing wipe off? Wouldn't have been spotty to begin? Did someone try to cover this up with a bluing pen or something?