The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2015, 11:31 PM   #1
RugerSAfan

Reload risk following kidney donation?

Howdy -

I donated a kidney earlier this week for my sister. Surgeons and transplant coordinators at Mayo say I can't lift more than 10lbs for next 6 weeks.

Since most activities are limited, seems like a perfect time to reload (45 colt & 38 spl). Any motions on press exceed 10 lbs of force? Any other concerns?

Thanks.

JR
Old January 9, 2015, 11:34 PM   #2
jwrowland77

Picking up a box of bullet to load. A bulk box of bullets get pretty heavy.
Old January 9, 2015, 11:54 PM   #3
Hammerhead

Thank you for donating. I'm going to need a kidney in a few years, so thank you to anyone who even considers donating.

Pulling down on the press probably takes more that 10lbs of force for resizing rifle cases. That could pull on your lat's & ab's. Even 357 cases can take some effort to resize. When I had wrist/hand trouble I found lubing revolver cases greatly reduced the effort required.

I bought some poly coated cast bullets from SNS casting, very good prices for 100 round sample packs, which are light.
Old January 10, 2015, 12:00 AM   #4
higgite

A stuck or almost stuck case in a sizing die can be a pretty good load when pulling up on the press handle. Be sure to adequately lube bottle neck cases.
Old January 10, 2015, 12:11 AM   #5
sawdustdad

You will probably be limited in what you can do while healing. Take it easy. I've had surgeries where they said not to lift anything (hernias) but found those restrictions overly conservative. Everyone is different.

Most motions on a loading press are more than 10 lbs so I'd say you are not loading for a few weeks at least.

Spend a few days with a couple good books--any of the Peter Hathaway Capstick books are great if you haven't read them. Death in the Long Grass is my favorite. Elmer Keith's Hell I was There is another.

You could probably hand prime brass, drop powder charges and seat bullets. Sizing cases over 9mm probably not.

Wishing you a speedy recovery-that was a very good thing you did.
Old January 10, 2015, 12:15 AM   #6
Nick_C_S

Thank you for your donation.

I'm not a doctor. But from personal experience (just minor surgeries), if you go slow, your body will usually give you a reminder in the form of "negative feedback" (pain) before anything bad happens.
Old January 10, 2015, 01:13 AM   #7
Pond, James Pond

Given the risks of trying to reload compared to the benefits of succeeding, I'd say relax, choose a dozen books you've had on your "to read " list, put your feet up and resist the urge to reload!
You'll need more than a roll-crimp if you pop your stitches!
Old January 10, 2015, 01:31 AM   #8
hartcreek

I would rig up a cheater handle and load away.
Old January 10, 2015, 02:07 AM   #9
balderclev

I would think that pulling down using a press would not be using the same muscles as lifting if it is only lifting that is the concern.
Old January 10, 2015, 09:37 AM   #10
Panfisher

I would think the motions and muscles are completely different. I would sit down at the press a gently pull the press handle down with no case in it, just to see what moves. Honestly I would think you are more likely to hurt something when twisting back and forth to get stuff on the bench. All that aside, don't rush it, give your body time to heal up.
Old January 10, 2015, 10:16 AM   #11
BarryLee

One thing to consider is the repetitive nature of a task. While lifting, pulling, pressing something fairly lightweight one time might not be an issue doing it several times could be.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman

Last edited by BarryLee; January 10, 2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old January 10, 2015, 12:26 PM   #12
RC20

Keep in mind, the 10 lbs is close to your body. Anything other than along the trunk the leverage turns that 10 lbs quickly into 20 or 30

I would not do on any re-sizing.

. Short term gain is not worth long term consequences.

Some years back I had miner surgery with the caveat not to do anything strenuous (take full weekend not doing anything and careful for 2 weeks)

We had a motor failure at work and while I did not work, I was up and down a ladder (carefully) and I paid with a flare up right after and that would knock me down for a day randomly for years. It still flares up at times.

Doctors may be conservative because they know from time to time you will exceed that either via a miscalculating or getting macho.

So, follow the advice. If allowed to walk then do that as much as allowed or within any guidelines (i.e. if it start to feel bad then stop asap)

Explore any limits carefully. I.e. do not go full gun, try a bit, see how it goes, extend that a bit, see how it goes etc.

Each of us has a unique physical profile and don't push the limits because one guy want you go jump over the cliff. He is not the one that will pay.
Old January 10, 2015, 01:05 PM   #13
lamarw

I am sure you will have follow-ups with your physician. You should pose this question to him or her.

There could be concerns about not only physical activities but exposure to various minor toxins from reloading. The medical professionals will know best.

I keep my reloading room well ventilated but there is the potential presence of lead/powder dust and the chemicals I use in my ultrasonic.
Old January 10, 2015, 01:40 PM   #14
mikld

I think I'd limit my reloading to brass preparation or other light work for a couple weeks. No problems lifting a couple hundred rifle cases or the other "hand work" (deburring/chamfering) and priming them shouldn't be too stressful, as far as I could see. I know I'd be doing a lot of research/reading and copying down data for loads I'd wanna try...
Old January 10, 2015, 05:04 PM   #15
T. O'Heir

I was told that after a quad by-pass 2 years ago. I laughed at 'em and said I could pick up 10 pounds with my tongue. I think they were worried I'd bust open my sternum and telling 'em they should have thought about that before they did it only amused me. That being my plan all along. Doctors really hate being laughed at.
The resident was flabbergasted when he found out there was nobody going to be helping me do anything.
Anyway, I'd be surprised if there was any 10 pound plus force involved with reloading. You won't be doing anything for a week or so anyway though. However, as mentioned, if it hurts to do, stop. No box of bullets weighs anywhere near 10 pounds.
"...miner surgery..." They find any ore?
Old January 10, 2015, 06:26 PM   #16
bedbugbilly

Thank you for your donation and hope all is going well with both you and your sister and continues to get better.

Your body will tell you what you can and can't do - but pay attention to what the doctors told you and just use common sense. Lots of other tasks you can do while mending . . . sort head stamps, prime, etc. All depends on what you're loading as far as how hard the press lever will be on you.

T. O'Heir . . . hmmm . . . you sound like a lot of fellows I know who are members of the "zipper club". Some recover fast . .. others don't. I had triple by-pass 19 years ago and for me, it took a long time to recover and I don't feel pain as much as some folks do. I honestly didn't have the strength to hardly walk afterwards let alone do any lifting or work. I also know a fellow who had his done at Mayo's . . he too thought he didn't have to follow doctor's orders and thought he "knew better" than those taking care of him. Unfortunately, he developed a staph infection in the sternum incision as a result of not "following instructions" and he died several weeks after the surgery. It's one thing to be "macho" . . quite another to use common sense. With major surgery (and heart by-pass or kidney transplant or removal is MAJOR surgery), a "small issue" can quickly turn in to a life-threatening issue.

Do what they tell you to do and allow yourself time to heal . . . reloading, sports, whatever . . will be still be there for you to enjoy once your've healed up.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 10, 2015, 07:02 PM   #17
William T. Watts

I'd say your paying your Doctor for his skill and knowledge, he's going to give you the best advice to help speed your recovery. With that said I'm recovering from a torn rotator cuff that's been surgically repaired, it has been hell!! Obviously not the same thing, I haven't considered not complying with his instructions, it's too painful.. William

Last edited by William T. Watts; January 10, 2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old January 11, 2015, 11:09 AM   #18
Mike / Tx

Like mentioned I would give it a couple to three weeks just because. That said however, I am hard headed as well and was up in my attic shooting rat shot at squirrels two days after knee surgery.

But this will give you time to sort and clean brass, address minor little things like getting everything READY to load and EASE into it.

My feelings are if I don't notice any pain or pull in the effected area when I initially gently try to do something I usually go ahead and do it. Not saying I am superman by any stretch, but having had both elbows and knees worked on multiple times as well as a few other items I learned real quick that things which sit too long unused are more uncomfortable when you start back up.

When I herniated two disc in my lower back the Dr had to call my work and tell them I was not to come back. I did it one weekend before Christmas one year and he called on the 13th of Feb and effectively shut me down for 8 weeks. I HAD to go to physical therapy three times a week and to a chiropractor twice on each of those days. I was ready to go back to work in two weeks but he made me do the full 8 weeks. To be honest it saved me from a LOT worse condition than I could have gotten into but I didn't like it any more than I had to.

Just take it easy and don't rip anything loose. The deep tissue surgery like you had WILL take some time to fully heal and while you might not notice ALL of the smaller indications you could extend the down time or end up with some scar tissues that you wouldn't have had if you had simply not done this or that.
Old January 11, 2015, 06:46 PM   #19
Longshot4

To me personally I would not take any chances for 6 weeks. Your health needs your cooperation. Relax and let your body heal. Now is not the time to gamble. Do some research on loads and before you know it you can load for a long time. Take a chance and you can bleed to death.
Old January 11, 2015, 06:49 PM   #20
RugerSAfan

Folks-

THANK YOU for taking the time to post on my initial question. I will follow the majority's recommendation and use some restraint for at least six weeks. I'm not a big fan of discomfort (aka pain), and willing to "suffer" with boredom if it forestalls future, long-term discomfort.

begbugbilly - I read your post to my wife. Her respone was "He sounds really smart. I like him." That's quite a compliment coming from her.

Thanks again, folks.

J.R.