The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 28, 2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Dragline45

Can Anyone Recommend A 12g SxS Double Barrel?

I have always been interested in getting a SxS double barrel 12g but literally never see them in shops. The gun will mostly be a novelty piece, but it may replace my 500 as a woods gun if it's that much smaller. Not looking for anything super expensive as I won't be hunting with it, but would like something of decent quality that wont shoot itself loose.

The Stoeger's look pretty decent, although I would have liked an 18" barrel over the 20" which is the shortest they offer. The overall length would be about the same as my Mossberg 500 since it sports a shorter 12" LOP stock as of recently.

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/side-by-side-shotguns

Right now my Mossberg with 18.5" barrel is about 37" with the 12" LOP stock.

The Stoeger with a 20" barrel is 36.5". I could have the stock chopped to a 12" LOP which would bring it around 34.5" assuming it has a 14" LOP from the factory. That in itself makes a pretty small and handy shotgun, but if I could find an 18" SxS, and chopped the stock to a 12" LOP that sucker would only be 32.5" give or take.

Open to any other recommendations. I am not opposed to anything with a 20" barrel, but like I said would prefer 18".

Last edited by Dragline45; March 1, 2014 at 01:39 AM.
Old February 28, 2014, 11:37 PM   #2
Virginian

If you get a Stoeger, get the double trigger model. If you are going cheap, keep it simple.
Old March 1, 2014, 06:52 AM   #3
PetahW

Keep in mind that break-open guns can be as much as 8" shorter than a repeater with the same bbl length, due to their comparativley shorter receiver/frame - using a SxS with bbl's shorter than 26" is tough to use, in other than a "poke & shoot" method, on game.

(IOW, they don't help with bbl swing)

Additionally, while some SxS' have been issued with 18"-20" bbls, their usually unchoked (straight or improved cylinder) for use with buckshot as a riot/guard gun.

Old March 1, 2014, 02:06 PM   #4
Dragline45

Quote:
If you get a Stoeger, get the double trigger model. If you are going cheap, keep it simple.
I have been reading that is probably the best route to go, thanks.

Quote:
Keep in mind that break-open guns can be as much as 8" shorter than a repeater with the same bbl length, due to their comparativley shorter receiver/frame - using a SxS with bbl's shorter than 26" is tough to use, in other than a "poke & shoot" method, on game.
I don't plan on hunting with this gun, it's mostly for novelty or it might become my woods/bear gun if it is that much smaller and handier than my Mossberg 500 so a shorter barrel length is actually more desirable.

Right now my 18.5" bbl 500 is 37" with it's 12" LOP stock.

The Stoeger from the factory is 36.5" with it's 20" bbl. Comparing a picture I found of a 20"bbl Stoeger next to a 18.5"bbl 500, the LOP on the Stoger appears to be a bit longer than the Mossberg which would give it a factor LOP of about 14.5". I would probably chop it down to a 12.5" LOP giving it an overall length of 34.5".
Old March 1, 2014, 03:55 PM   #5
Nickel Plated

I hear the Cimarron 1878 Colt replicas are some of the better budget doubles out there. Don't know how good the hammerless models are. But I agree with the notion that if you're buying a cheap double, you want it as simple as possible. Cheap ones aren't known for reliability or longevity as it is so the less things to go wrong the better. That means double triggers and exposed hammers.

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/sho...d-shotgun.html

Plus it looks way better than any Stoeger.
Old March 1, 2014, 08:52 PM   #6
darkgael

Why 12" LOP?

Pete
Old March 1, 2014, 09:59 PM   #7
Dragline45

Quote:
I hear the Cimarron 1878 Colt replicas are some of the better budget doubles out there.
Thanks I will have to check them out.

Quote:
Why 12" LOP?
Not that I have a problem with a full length LOP, but a shorter LOP makes the gun quicker to shoulder and cuts down on overall length without sacrificing barrel length.

Ideally I prefer a 12.5"-13" LOP which is what I would probably have it chopped to. The Hogue 12" LOP stock on my Mossberg I got because I like how it has the rubber overmold where your hand grips the stock, although it is a tad too short and I have to be careful that my thumb does not smack my nose when shooting. I added a limbsaver to my Mossberg which brought the LOP up between 12.5" and 13" which is just about perfect.