The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 28, 2010, 10:54 PM   #1
cory7mm

Berger Bullets in .300 Weatherby

I just got me a Weatherby Vanguard 300 weatherby Mag and I think I want to try the 155gr Berger Hunting bullets. It was a toss up between these and the 150gr Nosler Accubond's. I just hear these are the best on the market for accuracy/BC. So with Weatherby brass, what's a good load for the 155 Bergers and what's the speed/accuracy like? Or if you have tried the 150 accubonds or 168 bergers, please say as well.
thanks
Old April 29, 2010, 09:22 AM   #2
GAR700

I don't personally have a 300 weatherby. Having said that , the best weight for the 300 magnums is usually in the 180 grain range. The advantage to shooting a 300 Weatherby is that it will have the ability to push those heavier bullets fast enough to give some really spectacular numbers downrange (things a 30-06 or 308 won't do).
Back to your topic though, I have heard great things about the Berger hunting bullets but I have been told that the Berger VLD Targets might be a better choice because they have a thicker jacket and hold together better. The Nosler Accubond is a good bullet as well. Another brand you might consider are Barnes Bullets. Only just started using them but I have been impressed so far.
Good luck with the Weatherby. Wish I had one.

GAR