The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 16, 2000, 11:02 AM   #1
JMC

If you are familiar with the Laser Cast line of cast bullets, Oregon Trail Bullet Company, you most likely have seen their guarantee that their bullets will not lead or your money back.

Their people will tell you on the phone or via e-mail that you can shoot them "at jacketed bullet velocities" without leading or your money back, guaranteed.

Well, don't believe everything they tell you. The money back part is correct.

I recently tried their 405gr. FNBB bullet in my Ruger #1S .45-70 and the first 5 bullets leaded from the throat to the end of the muzzle. Cleaned the barrel out with a few jacketed rounds and the next LC's leaded the bore again.

The load was 50.0gr./IMR 3031 which, according to which manual you read, is a minimum of 2.0gr. below max for a jacket bullet. They also lead at 48.0gr./3031.

I have since spoken with their technician and they have backed off their claim about "jacketed bullet" velocities. Bob (tech) agreed that maybe they shouldn't make this claim. He is sending me samples of their new bullet in 405gr. that now has 3 lube grooves instead of the original 1.

They suggest only 38.5gr./3031 for the 405gr. bullet.

I told them that I'm looking for a "full power" hunting load, not a cowboy action target load.

They did offer me my $$ back but this doesn't solve my problem and my desire for a lead/traditional bullet for my rifle and a hunting load.

Has anyone else here experienced this?

------------------

Jim - NRA Life Member

www.geocities.com/jimc_07874/home.html
Old September 16, 2000, 03:01 PM   #2
bullet44

I tried there 9x18 cal and 9mm was not
impressed and did not find customer service
that great.I am now trying National(http://nationalbullet.com/1new.html)
so far I have found they lead less.They also
produce a copper coated bullet, have not tried it.
Old September 16, 2000, 03:12 PM   #3
Good Guy

No leading to speak of with the following LaserCast bullets;

44mag 20.0 grains of #2400 with LC 240 grain SWC

357mag 13.5 grains of #2400 with LC 158 grain SWC

While these are not generally considered MAXIMUM loads, they are still potent. I've read that recent Laser Cast bullets are not up to snuff compared to older production. I haven't bought any this year (plenty of Y2K stock) so I can't say whether or not this is true. Haven't tried their 45-70 slugs yet. Don't know how they'd perform with my 1895's MicroGroove rifling.

As an aside, that was decent enough of Oregon Trail to offer you a refund and send samples of their newest design bullet.

------------------
Just one of the Good Guys
Old September 16, 2000, 06:45 PM   #4
JMC

Good Guy,

Yes, their tech, Bob, has been real nice about this.

I'm looking forward to the newer design bullet samples with the 3 lube grooves instead of 1 on the bullets I already have..

I just don't think they should tell me that I can shoot their bullets at jacketed bullet velocities and then when they lead, tell me I shot them too fast!

I asked Bob about the possibility of a bad batch of alloy and he said no, their alloy is very consistantly hard.

------------------

Jim - NRA Life Member

Old September 18, 2000, 10:49 AM   #5
Fred

Thanks for the comments, Jim. By the way, how do you like that #1S?

------------------
Regards - AZFred

Old September 18, 2000, 11:47 AM   #6
JMC

Fred,

The gun itself is superb!

This is my 4th #1 but my first in .45-70. The others were years ago and unfortunately I don't have any of them now.

Ruger sent me, n/c, a higher rear sight and a lower front sight due to the low grouping with the faster loads with the originals on the gun.

I have an order coming for scope rings and 3 different brands/styles of jacketed bullets.

I WILL get it to shoot the way I want.

------------------

Jim - NRA Life Member

Old September 18, 2000, 01:50 PM   #7
Fred

Jim,

I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy that #1. I have always loved the way they look. When budget permits, my next rifle will be a #1. Take care.

------------------
Regards - AZFred