The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 1, 2019, 01:42 PM   #26
kmw1954

Yes I am loading Berry's 185gr FP and 200gr FP along with 200gr RN and Xtreme 200gr RN.

Cheaper than most Jacketed and on par with many cast.
Old January 1, 2019, 10:49 PM   #27
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post

There's a story to it. I had just finished tightening and fitting up the gun for bull's-eye pistol matches and was shooting lead through it off the bench. It was grouping about an inch at 25 yards range with the cast bullets from a bag with iron sights. I was very satisfied with that. Especially since I was having trouble with the bag I brought being a little short for the job, making me put it up on a stack of targets that kept slipping a little.

On the next firing point was a friend with a Hoppe's pistol rest (no longer made) and an Aimpoint sight on one of those left grip panel replacement mounts. He was throwing nearly 3" groups using the load I wrote down. He had actually loaded them on my equipment a week before the range session. My powder and primers; his cases and bullets. He had just put a Colt National Match barrel in his gun, but just as a drop-in that he hadn't fitted to the gun in any way. I explained he needed to do that. Nonetheless, he was questioning the sight and wanted me to try it. So I swapped the grip panel mount and sight onto my gun and shot the five for the group without zeroing the sight. That's why the group is high on the target.

Since I didn't have a spotting scope with me that day, I couldn't see what had happened from the bench. So I swapped the sight back onto the owner's gun while we waited for a cease-fire to go see what the damages were. Not too bad. Obviously, it proved the sight and the load were fine. He decided he needed to fit up his gun after that.

I was tickled with the group but didn't like the weight of the Aimpoint with the cast metal grip panel mount for offhand shooting (as match rules required). So I never got one of those rigs nor had occasion to repeat the feat. I just know what we loaded for him.

Statistically, a five-shot group isn't impressive. If I assume the worst and that it was just lucky on the small side, based on 95% confidence, a five-shot group with an average size of 1 unit of measure (an inch, a centimeter, a foot; whatever) will randomly vary from 0.652 to 1.53 times the average. So I can say with 95% confidence that the average group would be no bigger than 0.567" if that one was on the small side. On the other hand, if it was on the largest side, the average group would be just 0.25". Even though human intuition says it is more likely the former than the latter, the odds are actually equally high in either direction. The odds are 2:1 the average 5-shot group size over many more samples would turn out to be between 0.306" and 0.468", and are only 1:40 that the group was an outlier (outside the range for 95% of all 5-shot groups I might fire with the same ammo and conditions) on the small side.
Thanks for the reply. You could have saved yourself some time and just said that you fired only one 5-shot group. That would have answered my question.
Old January 2, 2019, 02:49 PM   #28
T. O'Heir

"...also want a personal defense load..." A cast 230 target load will disrupt anybody's day with no fuss. One must practice regularly with the ammo you intend using for CCW.
Old January 3, 2019, 06:56 AM   #29
bobznew1

Thank you everyone for the helpful advice and recommendations. As well as for the info re: headspacing. That's the type of feedback a newbie needs. Thanks again.

On recommendations I ordered some 200gr LSWC (Bullseye#1) from MissouriBullet, and some 230 FMJ MHI from RMR.

Thanks again guys.
Old January 3, 2019, 07:15 AM   #30
dallasb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobznew1 View Post
Thank you everyone for the helpful advice and recommendations. As well as for the info re: headspacing. That's the type of feedback a newbie needs. Thanks again.

On recommendations I ordered some 200gr LSWC (Bullseye#1) from MissouriBullet, and some 230 FMJ MHI from RMR.

Thanks again guys.
For the LWSC a good starting point is the shoulder of the bullet should be about a finger nail thickness above the rim of the case. Then use the plunk method as shown above to fine tune the COAL. I use the RMR 185 for target practice, never had issues with accuracy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old January 4, 2019, 03:07 PM   #31
Nick_C_S

Quote:
On recommendations I ordered some 200gr LSWC (Bullseye#1) from Missouri Bullet Co.
You won't be disappointed.

I seat mine to 1.240"; have for over three decades - which puts the shoulder of the bullet about 1/32" or so above the case mouth. I actually have a dedicated seat die for this bullet - it's locked down and loads nothing else. This dimension is not quite to the lands on my guns (per Unclenick's illustration/post); but I've run into feeding problems going longer. Accuracy is excellent in spite of not touching the lands.
Old January 5, 2019, 07:38 AM   #32
bobznew1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_C_S View Post
You won't be disappointed.

I seat mine to 1.240"; have for over three decades - which puts the shoulder of the bullet about 1/32" or so above the case mouth. I actually have a dedicated seat die for this bullet - it's locked down and loads nothing else. This dimension is not quite to the lands on my guns (per Unclenick's illustration/post); but I've run into feeding problems going longer. Accuracy is excellent in spite of not touching the lands.
This thread has given me info that I didn't ask for, but which will likely prove indispensable. That's the great thing about this site. People willing to impart information and education so freely. One of the many things that makes this sport/passtime so great.

Thanks so much everyone for helping in the learning process.
Old January 5, 2019, 12:33 PM   #33
pete2

I buy cast 200 gr RN from thebulletworks.net, use them in 1911 guns and a 625 revolver. I usually order 2000 at a time, good bullets at a fair price. They also sell SWC and plated bullets. I use a 200 SWC cast from Rucker for Bullseye shooting. I get the Ruckers from SW Ammo in Mesquite, TX. I buy 9mm plated and jacketed from RMR, plated from Berrys, bulletworks, Extreme, I can't honestly tell any difference in the plated bullets, I buy from whoever is cheapest and has them in stock. 124 gr RN in the 9mm.
Old January 5, 2019, 10:52 PM   #34
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Thirtysomething posts in and I can't believe I get to suggest my FAVORITE bullet distributor before anyone else.

Precision Delta!

www.precisiondelta.com

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 6, 2019, 01:30 PM   #35
markr6754

You have “got” to be kidding me!
Old January 6, 2019, 03:23 PM   #36
bobznew1

I see what you just did right there. LOL
Old January 6, 2019, 10:06 PM   #37
jaysouth

ZEKE at post 21:

That is the old Saeco 315 mold. Magnus also sells that bullet in lead and calls it a "bowling pin bullet" Loaded at 850 fps, it knocks pins off the table with authority. I use it for a carry round at just a little bit higher vel. It feeds like a dream in all my 1911s.

However, for general range fun, a 200 gr. SWC clone of the H&G 68 over 4 grs of Bullseye is as sublime and iconic as it gets.
Old January 7, 2019, 10:21 AM   #38
zeke

jaysouth-Thanks, it's been quite awhile since i used magnus bullets. Am evaluating switch to the coated 215 grainer in the shorter 1911 carry gun. Pretty easy to make a milder recoiling round that has a large meplat out front. This bullet at 800 fps from 3 in seems like a decent alternative to 230 jhp at around 850 fps.

Used to shoot alot of the Magnus 801, they used to call the short 185 swc.
Old January 11, 2019, 06:11 AM   #39
TJx

Montana Gold is probably the most cost effective when you buy them by the case even compared to plated bullets.