The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 14, 2019, 08:18 AM   #1
rburch

I freefloated my AR this weekend

A while back some of us on the old Zombie Squad Forums did a group buy on a ZS logo lower receiver and built ARs with them.

It was my first build and I had a lot of fun with it. This is how it looked just after completion.

Well over the years since I’d tweaked it a bit here and there, adding a Aimpoint micro, and flashlight, but it just wasn’t really what I wanted. There wasn’t anything wrong with it, but it was what I could afford more than what I wanted.

Fast forward to this month and Midway USA’s birthday coupon showed up giving me the chance to get some new parts at a ridiculously reduced price.

So I ordered the parts and a few tools and here is the new look.

The build itself was pretty easy, the only real issue was not having a vise at my apartment, but I made do with a scrap wood frame and some c clamps to hold my ar vise block.

Really the only part I had trouble with was removing the front sight block, those 2 pins were a pain to get free without destroying something.

I’m still thinking about other changes, but I like how it feels.

I still need to function test it, but had to work late yesterday and didn’t get to it.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old July 14, 2019, 09:19 AM   #2
9x19

Nicely done!!
Old July 16, 2019, 07:42 AM   #3
DMK

Nice! That handguard looks fairly light too.

I've found on many of my builds that after removing the FSB and all the handguard mounting hardware, I'm often lighter out front after adding a free float handguard, or at least the weight is moved further back to the balance point.

Aside from cost or retro aesthetics, there's no reason not to free float an AR anymore. I really like that freedom to know that resting the handguard on something, or pulling a tight handy sling won't affect my POI.
Old July 16, 2019, 08:37 AM   #4
Bartholomew Roberts

Even the old Knight’s free float quadrails are usually lighter than equivalent length stick handguards by net weight because you lose the delta ring assembly and heat shields. The new M-LOK or Keymod rails using alloys are even lighter and sleeker. It definitely improves the handling of the rifle.