The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 16, 2019, 04:31 PM   #26
BBarn

I enjoy 44 caliber revolvers. Full power 44 Magnum loads are more than I enjoy in a Blackhawk with the regular grip frames, but those same loads are fun in a Bisley Blackhawk or Redhawk.

Beyond cleaning the cylinder and barrel, revolvers seldom need to be stripped for cleaning, perhaps every 5K to 10K rounds or even more. So I wouldn't be too concerned about any difficulties that might exist with stripping the Blackhawk.

I would suggest that the screws of the Blackhawk be checked every 100 rounds or so. Some of the screws have a tendency to loosen fairly quickly, which can result in wear, damage, or lost parts if left loose.
Old June 17, 2019, 04:35 AM   #27
stagpanther

Quote:
My opinion.

I'm making up numbers, here. Do not believe them.

If you load 11.0 of Unique under a 240 grain JSP, you might get 1100 fps out of your 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk. Shoot the same load out of your 20" 1894 Marlin and you get 1750, because of the longer barrel.

BUT, if you use a powder picked to make the best use of that 20 inches of barrel, you might can push that 240 grain JSP 2000 fps. Howsomever, if you fire those loads in your Super, you don't get 1100 fps, but instead only get 950 fps, and a HUGE fireball, since you don't have enough barrel for all the powder to burn.

So, if you just have the 44 rifle, then choose a "rifle load". If you've got both pistol and rifle, then pick a good pistol load and shoot it in your rifle too.
My best 44 fireballs were with lil'gun.
Old June 17, 2019, 05:23 AM   #28
Mobuck

I own a carbine chambered for every caliber of handgun I have.
Old June 17, 2019, 10:19 AM   #29
stagpanther

Quote:
and why is that ?
I added some powder from left-over fireworks.

Just Kidding--don't do that anyone lest you blow yourself and everyone around you up!
Old June 17, 2019, 08:57 PM   #30
FrankenMauser

Quote:
So, if you just have the 44 rifle, then choose a "rifle load". If you've got both pistol and rifle, then pick a good pistol load and shoot it in your rifle too.
What???!!??
I've been doing it all wrong!

I shoot everything in the rifle and revolvers, except for one box marked, "Rifle Only - Probably safe in SBH, too, but sketchy" and one box marked, "SBH Only - Too long for 1894".
My favorite is a 790 fps load with swaged 240 gr SWCs. They're even slower out of the rifle. They're quieter than my .30-06 with a suppressor on it.
Quiet, gentle, and sublime... Did I mention that they're accurate? It's a pop-gun load, but it sure does work.
Old June 18, 2019, 12:51 PM   #31
lordvader

I would. I have a 629 classic 44 that doesn't get fired much. Bought it for hunting, so I don't really get to shoot it much. In your situation you would get a lot of use out of your 44, if you purchased one. Mine gets taken out of the vault maybe twice a year. So I would say yes get the 44 if you really want it, and enjoy it at the range.
Old June 18, 2019, 01:30 PM   #32
stagpanther

The 44 mag is my all-around favorite cartridge to reload--easiest to do and brass lasts forever. Can't go wrong either way.
Old June 21, 2019, 01:25 AM   #33
ballardw

Lever action rifle and SA revolvers in .22, .357, .45 colt and .41 magnum. I say go for it.

Someday may add .32-20 to the collection.