The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 17, 2022, 04:12 PM   #1
Hockey44

280 Remington new reloader

Since I can’t find any 160-165gn 280 Remington ammo for purchase, decided to become a reloader. I have Remington case head brass and Winchester case head nickel plated brass. I’ve reloaded 27 rounds of the Remington (because that’s all the primers my dad had left) but I haven’t been able to find a load using the Winchester. Does this type of nickel plated brass completely change the load data required compared to the Remington brass?
Old August 17, 2022, 04:36 PM   #2
GeauxTide

One of my favorites. The only issue with Nickeled brass is the necks split much faster. All my brass is Rem, but I have a bunch of Win brass in other calibers and have found it about the best out there. The 3 280s I've loaded for have not liked max loads. My preferred powder is IMR4831 and 139 and 154 Interbonds print to the same POI and is right out of the Hornady X manual. It has been my practice to keep brands separate.

Last edited by GeauxTide; August 18, 2022 at 10:15 PM.
Old August 18, 2022, 06:40 PM   #3
std7mag

Typically when changing components it's wise to start from a starting charge and work up.

The nickle cases may have thicker walls. Decreasing case volume.
So same powder charge may create higher pressures.

27 primers isn't much.
I use 10 for ladder test for powder charge, then more for seating depth test.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old August 18, 2022, 06:51 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Hockey44, welcome to the forum.

No, loads do not change completely with the brass. The general rule of thumb is that you can use most any starting load with different cases and primers. Some bullets are too different to use with recipes for other bullets, but primers and cases seldom change things that much. The only exceptions are some odd cases with extra-thick brass. These will be noticeably heavier.

In this particular case, I think you will find the Winchester case is actually lighter than the Remington, so the same loads are likely to be just fine in it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 18, 2022, 08:04 PM   #5
old roper

I have some Rem 280 new brass and some Winchester 280 nickel cases. I fire form brass in my wildcat 280AI.

Nickel cases weights average 194gr and Rem cases average 202gr. Both neck thickness is pretty close .013/.014.

I haven't had problem with Win brass but I did measured necks and check case weight and load density was close.
NRA Life Member
Old August 18, 2022, 09:49 PM   #6
jmr40

Not specific to 280. But I load for, or have in the past, 308, 30-06, 280, 338/06, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 WSM, and 6.5 CM. In my experience Winchester and Remington brass is close enough that I've found load data to interchange. I still separate my brass and will load in batches of only Winchester or only Remington. I've never noted enough difference between nickel plated and brass to matter either.

It would still be a good idea to back off the powder charge a bit if you have a load you are using any time you change components such as brass or primers. Especially if the load you're using is at or near max. If you're using a mid-range load that may not be necessary.

FWIW I also use some Hornady and Nosler brass. It has also proven to be close enough to use the same data. The only brass I've found where I had to significantly alter my powder charge was with military surplus 308 brass or Federal brass in any cartridge. Not implying Federal brass is bad, just that I needed to reduce my powder charges slightly when using that brass.

Winston Churchill
Old August 19, 2022, 03:06 PM   #7
Paul B.

"Since I can’t find any 160-165gn 280 Remington ammo for purchase, decided to become a reloader. I have Remington case head brass and Winchester case head nickel plated brass. I’ve reloaded 27 rounds of the Remington (because that’s all the primers my dad had left) but I haven’t been able to find a load using the Winchester. Does this type of nickel plated brass completely change the load data required compared to the Remington brass?"

Simple answer on the nickel plater brass is no. Load them the same way as brass.
FWIW, That Winchester nickel plated brass is all I use in my .280 Rem. I can't give any suggested loads as the powder I use was discontinued probably close to 15 years now. I have a large supply so that's what I use. My choice of bullet is the discontinued Speer older style two core Grand Slam for elk and the regular Hot Core for deer.
Paul B.
Old August 19, 2022, 08:08 PM   #8
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey44 View Post
Since I can’t find any 160-165gn 280 Remington ammo for purchase, decided to become a reloader. I have Remington case head brass and Winchester case head nickel plated brass. I’ve reloaded 27 rounds of the Remington (because that’s all the primers my dad had left) but I haven’t been able to find a load using the Winchester. Does this type of nickel plated brass completely change the load data required compared to the Remington brass?
If you "follow the rules" you start back over at starting load any time you change any component in your load. From my experience, Rem and Win brass are near identical capacities. Norma and starline rifle brass are generally heavier and have smaller capacity.
Old August 19, 2022, 09:47 PM   #9
Sure Shot Mc Gee

nickel plated or yellow brass. No difference in charging's. 280 is a potent cartridge. Don't have a 280 myself but I do own its little brother. 270 win.
Old August 19, 2022, 11:35 PM   #10
The Happy kaboomer

I have been loading and shooting .280's for over 30 years. I have a Win featherweight and a Remington 700 BDL in that caliber. My go to bullet has always been a Sierra 140 gr Gameking. 2 years ago I switched to 140 gr Federal Fusion. I run "em" around 2850 FPS. My powder is always IMR4831. LOTS of deer have got a ride in my Chevy with my .280s'.
Old August 20, 2022, 10:48 AM   #11
Marco Califo

"The nickle cases may have thicker walls. Decreasing case volume." I have never read this in any manual, and, frankly do not believe it is true. Nickle stands up to handling MUCH BETTER when handled every work shift. (think game wardens). I have NEVER seen load data with different loads for brass and nickle.
Old August 20, 2022, 11:22 AM   #12
MarkCO

Same load data.

FWIW, I separate my Brass and Nickle cases per caliber. Nickle tends to crack a little sooner, so I don't want to reload them a lot. I'll gather a lot and load my favorite hunting load or defense load and put them in a sealed ammo box, labeled, in packs of 100 or 200, vacuum packed with a desiccant packet. I doubt I ever get to them, but the boys know where, and what they are. I'd guess in a few more years, I'll have enough to last them at least hunting and SD, for their lives.

My .280Rem brass gets fire formed to .280AI.

Tags
280 remington , brass type , new reloader