The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 25, 2001, 08:12 AM   #1
TKL

I am looking at buying a used K-80. How do you tell how old it is by the serial #. Also at what serial #s were the varios upgrades made. Any advice greatly appreciated! I will be using it mostly for skeet, but also for some trap and sporting clays and know I want choke tubes and sub gauge tubes as well.
Thanks,
Terry
Old February 25, 2001, 09:49 AM   #2
K80Geoff

K80

TKL AH finally a subject dear to my heart...ahem...

Bookmark this site. It is Alan Rhones site from Great Britain. Alan sells K guns in GB and is the most knowledgeable person on the net about the guns.

www.krieghoff.co.uk

If you go to the "Ask Alan" link you will be taket to his Q & A section. He recently answered a similar question about K80s. He seems to have no problem helping us yanks even though he obviously makes nothing from his efforts. He is one of the good guys, as I am sure you will see.

From my own limited knowledge the major change to the K80 was around serial #21500 when they went to using hardened hammers and coil springs. Older K80s and K32s used leaf springs to operate the sears.

I have had excellent service from Chris Maest of Clay Target Sports in NJ. He is a service center/ dealer for Krieghoff and was Krieghoffs Service manager for many years.

www.claytargetsports.com

Lastly, if all else fails call Krieghoff USA directly.

www.krieghoff.com

Or check out the factory website

www.krieghoff.de/

More info then you will ever want to know

Great choice in guns, by the way!

Geoff Ross

Old February 25, 2001, 10:16 AM   #3
PJR

Ditto to all that Geoff said.

As the owner of an older Model 32, let me say some good things about Krieghoff service. I bought mine well used a few years ago then proceeded to use it heavily on the trap fields.

When it began showing some age -- misfiring due to headspace. Krieghoff took the gun back, reset the barrels, replaced the springs and internals, reblued the barrels and did some other minor things all for a suprisingly reasonable price given the amount of work required. They handled the point to point shipping and all within the specified time period.

You can't go wrong buying a Krieghoff even the old ones and even if you aren't the original owner.

Paul