The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2013, 06:00 AM   #1
Ted D

Newbie Reloader

Hi guys,I'm new to reloading I've wanting to get into reloading for many years and I decided to finally do it.Not because of all the panic going on it just happened that I bought all my equipment at this time.I been reading on this site for some time and others as well.This one is the best that I've came accross.It is more active than the others and it seems like theres more people from all over the USA.So that is great because you can get differant info from all over.Espcially if you can't find something in your area you can ask someone if they can find it in theres..I taught myself how to hunt and fish.And now it is reloading.I made my first batch of ammo last week shot all 20rds.with no problems what a feeling that was.I'm hooked I love it.Now those rounds worked out I'm going to reload another 200.Ill be talking to ya.Have a good day.
Old January 30, 2013, 06:19 AM   #2
Nathan

Welcome! What are you loading?
Old January 30, 2013, 06:59 AM   #3
j357

Welcome! Great news on your first batch. Lots of members from all over and some fairly close by. I see that you are just up the road from me.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Ted D

Nathan I'm reloading 9mm for now than I plan on reloading .44mag for my Henry Big Boy.Also .357 for my S&W relover.
Old January 30, 2013, 10:48 PM   #5
Nathan

Cool. You might look into Unique for mild cowboy loads in 357 and 44. It would work in 9mm too, but may lack the velocity you are looking for there.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Rebel

Hello fellow reloaders!

First post for me...

I've been researching and have my equipment on order so i can start reloading (slowly) also. However i've decided to jump in with both feet in in regards to my equipment (starting with an lnl auto progressive press ). I think i've been bitten by the bug even though i've yet to get anything setup!

I decided to post here since i see a couple of you are close by to me (Ted D & J357). Since we are all in the general area what stores do you use to pick up your reloading supplies?

I'm planning on going to The Country Attic in South Lebanon after work to pick up some supplies (small rifle primers since they are in stock and some powder (bunch in stock). As with everyone else i can't find a small pistol primer to save my life.

I'm also going to stop by a barnes and noble on my way home and pick up a few reloading manuals to read while i wait for my equipment to arrive. Most of my research has been done online up until this point.

I also hope to also spend some time with my buddies dad that has been reloading since before i was born to get some insight before i get more involved into this new hobby.

Look forward to asking more questions and helping where i can!
Old January 31, 2013, 12:28 PM   #7
j357

Rebel, Country Attic is a good source, great guys there. Stock is usually pretty good. I would suggest you call B&N prior to going, IME reloading manuals may not be stocked in the physical stores. You can probably get exactly what you need, as far as manuals go, in one stop at the Goodman show in Sharonville this weekend. Lyman and Hornady manuals along with a copy of the ABCs of Reloading would be my first recommendation.
Old January 31, 2013, 01:11 PM   #8
Jay24bal

Barnes & Noble is a no go usually...

Rebel - Barnes & Noble generally does not carry reloading manuals around here (Cleveland). Every time the wife and I go in a book store, I check the "sports" section and they never have them, usually just value guides or historical books about a certain manufacturer/firearm.

If you are stopping by a store that sells components, they will almost always carry the more popular manuals (Lyman, Hornady, Speer, and Lee around here anyway).

Welcome to reloading, and the forum.

P.S. I love the Dayton area, I attended UD for law school and had some pretty good times down that way. To this day, the Vandalia Range & Armory is one of the nicest public shooting ranges I have been to.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old January 31, 2013, 01:12 PM   #9
Rebel

Good advise about calling B&N.

Those 3 books were the ones I wanted to get.

They actually had ABCs of reloading there at the store but would not price match there website. So i'll just order it online since I have a gift card to there.

The other 2 books i'll probably buy on Amazon as i'm not sure i can make this weekends gun show and i'm not sure I even want to go.

I was at the Roberts Centre a few weeks ago and that was insanity... Dealers were acting like they were selling bars of gold. Grant it if people are willing to pay then why not get what you can but to me no deals were to be found on what i was looking for.

If i did go it would be to find some primers and 223 brass but i know it wouldn't be until at least later Saturday or on Sunday. Even that could be to late.

If you go and see any of that in stock there or another location would you mind sending me a pm to let me know?

Thanks!