The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 4, 2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Pinelands

Leaving rimfire magazines loaded

I know this is a cliche question, but im asking specifically about .22lr rimfire magazines. Has anyone kept them loaded for long periods (like several months at a time)?

Its not so much the mag spring id worry about, but I was wondering if the lubed bullets of the .22lr might cause issues after sitting in loaded mags for long periods in varying heat, humidity, etc.
Old June 4, 2010, 02:06 PM   #2
fastforty

I've had the mags for my MkII loaded constantly for the last 25 years, it's my "goto gun" when all heck breaks loose in the hen house in the middle of the night. Not the same bullets of course but some have remained loaded for a year or few. Never had any problem with the wax lube that surely melts at times & re-solidifies later.
Old June 4, 2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

That's a valid question, Pinelands. However, think of it in a different light - is there any difference in having .22LR rounds in a magazine as compared to having them in a box? I (as many, many do) have boxes of .22's that are decades old. The rounds sit bullet down in the boxes and go through periods of cold and heat. When you open the box, you don't find little globs of lube have fallen from the bullets onto the base of the box. The wax lube most manufacturers use is sufficiently hard enough to stay in place even when subjected to relatively high temps.

I'm sure there is a temperature point at which that won't hold true, but it won't be under the normal conditions rounds are kept. If you keep a mag (or box) of ammo in the sun inside a closed-up car for several hours, then all bets are off.
Old June 4, 2010, 03:26 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

I had a well used Buckmark magazine left loaded for almost 10 years. It went bang ten times in a row, when it made its way back into the pistol - and still continues to work fine.

I've also just recently shot up 9 rounds that were left in a 10/22 magazine for almost a year. Same deal - no issues.

And... I had a Rossi 62SA's tube magazine 'stuffed to the gills' with Aguila SSS (huge amount of wax) for about 8 months once. It went on several shooting trips, but never came out of its case. When I finally emptied the magazine (by shooting it, of course), everything worked perfectly fine.

As Mal H said:
Quote:
I'm sure there is a temperature point at which that won't hold true, but it won't be under the normal conditions rounds are kept. If you keep a mag (or box) of ammo in the sun inside a closed-up car for several hours, then all bets are off.
Letting any firearm sit in hot sun or a vehicle isn't the best idea.
Letting them sit in high humidity isn't the greatest idea, either.

I've never seen it happen in a firearm (my family takes great efforts to make sure our rifles and pistols are not subjected to harmful conditions), but I have seen ONE can of Remington ammunition have the wax melt off. (The "limited edition" green tins they sold during the late '70s.) It's the only time in my life, I have seen rimfire wax melt. The ammo was not only hot enough to burn anyone that touched it, but we figured it had reached a temperature well over 200 degrees. (Was sitting in a black box, in the back window of a car, with the windows up, during the hottest week of the year, out in the desert. Obviously, the odds were stacked against that poor ammo.) After it cooled for a while.... it worked just fine.
Old June 4, 2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Pinelands

Thanks for the feedback, I guess then its a non-issue under all but extreme conditions.
Old June 4, 2010, 08:25 PM   #6
reloader28

I dont know if it makes a difference or not, but I never fill my mags. If it holds 10 I'll put in 5 for storing. I dont like keeping fully loaded tension on the springs.
Just my opinion.
Old June 5, 2010, 01:08 AM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I dont know if it makes a difference or not, but I never fill my mags. If it holds 10 I'll put in 5 for storing. I dont like keeping fully loaded tension on the springs.
It all depends on the magazine.

Magazines that have stops in them (to keep the spring from being fully compressed) don't worry me at all. I load them to max capacity, and have never had an issue.

Magazines that don't have stops are a different story. I take them on a case-by-case basis, taking spring shape, design, amount of compression, and a few other things into consideration.
Old June 7, 2010, 05:31 PM   #8
berettaprofessor

I've kept mags loaded for 10/22's, Ruger Mark III, and Buckmarks for ages (years). No problems so far.
Old June 7, 2010, 09:04 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...fully loaded tension on the springs..." Springs do not lose temper from being compressed. Only high heat can do that. The bends in a flat spring can work harden from extended use though.
Old June 8, 2010, 07:05 PM   #10
James R. Burke

I am like Reloader28 I leave a few out. But I also make sure I have a couple of back up mags that are left empty just in case. I never did have a problem.
Old June 8, 2010, 10:14 PM   #11
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Load em up and don't worry about it. Just try to get them out for fresh air and exercise one in a while. I don't know about the gun but it will be good for you.

Flexing wears out the spring, not compression. It used to be a problem because some springs used to be of a different composition. They would take a set. Not true with any spring you are likely to see today.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old June 20, 2010, 08:11 PM   #12
Scottmkiv

I've never noticed a problem.
Old June 23, 2010, 01:51 PM   #13
LEO1

Sooner or later all springs will take a set. It doesn't mean they have gone bad, it just means they are not as long as they once were.

A pretty good rule of thumb is that if at least one or two coils extend past the base of the mag with the floor plate off, the spring should have enough pressure to feed reliably. I've always recommended that mags be downloaded once every couple of months to relax the springs. This sufficient. Just remember. Any manufacturer will tell you that the weakest link in any fully or semi-automatic cycle of fire is the magazine. In my opinion, buy good factory mags. Stay away from low-ball aftermarket junk. Weaknesses will always manifest themselves when you can afford them the least!
Old June 23, 2010, 02:31 PM   #14
Bill DeShivs

Springs don't need to relax-they aren't alive. Properly made springs take a "set" upon initial compression only.
Properly made and designed springs don't "wear out" or "get weak."
Over-compression and rust will damage springs. Properly designed magazines don't over-compress springs.
Old June 23, 2010, 03:45 PM   #15
booker_t

Non-issue.

As far as I know, "relaxing" your springs has no effect, waste of time/effort. I haven't seen a single technical, peer-reviewed, scientific report that demonstrates that a compressed spring of the type found in magazines fatigue with extended compression, or require relaxation time to maintain their properties. By all means, if you have that information, show me and prove my above statement wrong.