The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 9, 2009, 05:43 PM   #1
mcmiles21

Old Colt

I recently acquired a Colt Official Police, at least I think that's what it is.

Patent dates are 1884-1905. It is marked "Officers Model 38" on the left side of the barrel. SN is: 4838xx It has adjustable rear and front sights. The rear top strap has tiny lines for aligning the rear sight. The front is a blade held in a rectangular block. It a good shooter, and the SA pull is VERY light.
Is this a Target model? Approximate year made.

Thanks
Old July 9, 2009, 07:00 PM   #2
RamSlammer

Well, it' an Officer's Model you have which is different than an Official Police. The serial number you give dates to 1922 which is 5 years before the Official Police was introduced.

From the description, it sounds like it is an Officer's Model Target. (A picture would be nice to see.) Use only standard pressure ammo as that model is not rated for plus P.
Old July 9, 2009, 07:04 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

This isn't an Official Police, its a Colt Officer's Model, which was Colt's target revolver.
Basically, its a better built, better finished target version of the OP.

The Officer's Model was made from the early 1900's to 1969 in several different versions.
The exact model depends on the serial number. The First Model was made from 1904 to 1908.
The Second Model was made from 1913 to 1923.
The Third Model was made from 1927 to 1949.

After the war, Cold made the Officer's Model Special and the Officer's Model Match.

To find your year of manufacture, check this web site:
http://proofhouse.com/colt/
Old July 9, 2009, 08:05 PM   #4
celtgun

It is an Officer's Model, made in 1922. Have 2 Army Specials, (38 & 32-20) both shoot great. They have fixed sights, I think the Officer's Model indicate adjustible sights. Both models share the same serial number range. Fit and finish, inside and out not to be matched today. Great shooters.
This info per R.L. Wilson's Colt's Dates of Manufature.

"I walk on untrodden ground. Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation. It is better be alone than in bad company." GEORGE WASHINGTON, (1732-1799)
Old July 10, 2009, 10:57 PM   #5
tommy1969

Old colt

It's a fine piece; great grandad to the Python. They share the OP frame, but with some mods.

All OPs and OMMs share many internal parts, but only the Trooper .357 and the Python have frame-mounted firing pins, if memory serves me.

Tags
colt , official police , target