The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 19, 2008, 06:49 PM   #26
skydiver3346

Sawed off Shotgun

Did anyone mention it is a $10,000 fine and/or 10 years in Federal pen for owning or possessing a weapon like this without a Classe III license..........
Old April 19, 2008, 06:54 PM   #27
DonR101395

Quote:
Classe III license..
There is no such animal.
Old April 19, 2008, 07:31 PM   #28
furyfour

Good info Douglas-

Also good to see a fellow Pensacolian about!
Old April 19, 2008, 10:05 PM   #29
Bill DeShivs

People simply won't READ.
Old April 19, 2008, 11:29 PM   #30
Edward429451

Quote:
It is not a permit, a license, or anything other than a Tax.
For all practical purposes it's a permit...If you don't pay the tax, then you're not permitted to own it and will go to jail if found in possession of it.
Old April 20, 2008, 08:31 AM   #31
VUPDblue

Quote:
Did anyone mention it is a $10,000 fine and/or 10 years in Federal pen for owning or possessing a weapon like this without a Classe III license..........
Wow, just wow...
Old April 20, 2008, 10:32 AM   #32
B.N.Real

You ever show this weapon out in public and you are likely to be arrested immediately.

Is it really worth that much hassle to own.

Unlike a Barrett rifle or a Thompson sub machine gun (and this supposes they are unloaded at the time and in their transport cases)where you can easily show the paperwork for the firearm,short barrel(i,e, sawed off' type) shotguns are a particular type of weapon that all police officers immediately suppose you are up to no good.

I have always heard and read that the barrel has to be longer than eighteen inches.

And some localities frown upon pistol grip 18" long shotguns as well.

If you want to be arrested,this shotgun will get you that everytime a law officer sees it with you.
Old April 20, 2008, 10:34 AM   #33
DonR101395

Quote:
You ever show this weapon out in public and you are likely to be arrested immediately.
BS

Quote:
Is it really worth that much hassle to own.

Unlike a Barrett rifle or a Thompson sub machine gun (and this supposes they are unloaded at the time and in their transport cases)where you can easily show the paperwork for the firearm,short barrel(i,e, sawed off' type) shotguns are a particular type of weapon that all police officers immediately suppose you are up to no good.

I have always heard and read that the barrel has to be longer than eighteen inches.

And some localities frown upon pistol grip 18" long shotguns as well.

If you want to be arrested,this shotgun will get you that everytime a law officer sees it with you.
Old April 20, 2008, 10:55 AM   #34
Edward429451

BN real does have a point don. Cops around here are of the well we're going to arrest you just to be sure, but don't worry, if its legal you can show the paperwork to the judge and everything will be ok for you persuasion....which wouldn't stop the arrest or impounding of the weapon.

Anytime there's a grey area the citizen loses in my experiance.
Old April 20, 2008, 11:41 AM   #35
DonR101395

Quote:
BN real does have a point don. Cops around here are of the well we're going to arrest you just to be sure, but don't worry, if its legal you can show the paperwork to the judge and everything will be ok for you persuasion....which wouldn't stop the arrest or impounding of the weapon.

Anytime there's a grey area the citizen loses in my experiance.

His reasoning is faulty, he says they are going to arrest you for a "sawed off shotgun" but let you show them the papers for a Thompson and life will be ok. That is BS. If they are going to arrest you without cause and without checking the paperwork they will do it for either item because they are ignorant of the law and will then pay for their ignorance. I've never sued anyone and have many friends including a wife who is LEO and would have no problem bringing a lawsuit against them for their unlawful actions. It's not my fault if they are ignorant of the law and incompetent.
As long as your paperwork is in order, you're not going to lose. You quite possibly could end up with more cash for more NFA items. I have never had cause to bring a lawsuit, but that would give me cause.
Old April 20, 2008, 11:16 PM   #36
douglasschuckert

Are You Freggin Joking Me???

I ABSOLUTELY DARE a Police Officer to arrest me because I have a legally possessed NFA weapon! MAN oh MAN... I can guarantee it would be the LAST arrest that cop EVER made.

There is a thing called wrongful arrest (that ALL states have it).. If a cop says he's not aware of a requirement, they ARE NOT permitted to arrest due to their ignorance. They WILL CALL their station and seek advise BEFORE they use the bracelets. Their jobs and their personal freedom are at stake EVERY TIME THEY MAKE AN ARREST!

It would be SO VERY EASY for ANY attorney to win a "Wrongful Arrest" suite because a cop arrested you, impounded your NFA illegally, and made you waste the magistrate’s time and YOUR money to pay for the unnecessary court fees...

Not to mention that Police Officer that perped the arrest is in Violation of the National Firearms Act! He's going to do up to 10 years and pay upto $250,000.00 fine for being stupid...

NO THIS SHOTGUN IS NOT GOING TO GET YOU ARRESTED! Matter of fact it IS a LOT different than a Thompson Submachine gun. Full Auto weapons carry MUCH MORE mystique than SBS's do! Especially where Law Enforcement is concerned!

VUPDBlue said it well... "Wow...just Wow"

(oh hell yeah I’m long winded! Im in Pakistan on Government assignment with NOTHING else to do! )
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Fe...d.aspx?id=2668 - HR 1022 Assault Weapons Ban & Law Enforcement Protection Act (2007) http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348 - Online Petition against! DO YOUR PART, WRITE YOUR DAMN REP, and DEMAND VETO!