The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 9, 2001, 11:40 PM   #26
grimel

I know this will bring some heated response. One of the largest handgun killed whitetails I've seen was killed with a 4in 22lr Ruger single six shot one handed draw aim fire. It doesn't take much to kill a whitetail.

That said IMO 41mag is the bottom end cause I cann't always get a perfect broadside shot. My personal deer handgun is a 4in 44mag with open sights. My cousin uses a 7.5in Ruger SuperRedhawk with a 2x (might be 4x) scope. He's deadly to 100yds. Has a blackbear and boar with that gun. I hunt where 50yds would be a major feat, he hunts a little more open (farm lands in Mich, me in the mts in Tn). As someone mentioned the single shots add a whole nuther dimension to handgun hunting. FWIW, we handload hard cast bullets to the hottest level with good accuracy. 310gr FPs give total penetration of a whitetail take out the shoulder and give minimal tracking distances (does anyone know why deer always run downhill away from your vehicle?).
Old February 10, 2001, 10:19 AM   #27
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

We're discussing SPORTING stuff, here.

Friends, I'm at a loss about the last three replies in this topis string.

All three discuss the killing of white tail deer with clearly inadequate and unsporting gear. CAN a deer be killed with a .22 rinfire or a .32? Sure. So what. And, if I were a native American way out in the wilds and my kids were hungry, I would use such, if that was the difference in them having meat or not.

I am heartened to note that all three strate that they, personally, advocate the use of something a LOT more sporting for the deer hunt: .45 Colt, .44 or .41 Magnum.

I must respectfully disagree with the parallel of adequate for man = adequate for deer. In rifles, this could be arguable, the .30 USCarbine and .223 aside. In handguns, define adequate and we can begin the discussion. I've been out and around with nothing but a .32 or .25 for sole armament. Make no mistake: I did NOT consider either adequate
to stop a determined attack by a motivated adversary. Butit make me feel better. I believe in the largest defense piece paractical under the circumstances. But l am convinced that the majority of crooks will give up their attack on me if hit with ANYHING. If he runs away, I have accomplished my end.

The deer is not so cooperative. he doesn't lie down and become venison simply because he is smote a mild blow.

Best regards,
Johnny
MOLON LABE!
Old February 18, 2001, 09:49 PM   #28
Nimrod

Depends on the range and situation. I have had reliable success over the years with an open sighted .44 revolver (S&W M29) and a Contender, also in .44 mag. I hunt from a tree stand and keep ranges close.
Old February 19, 2001, 01:49 PM   #29
abrahamsmith

FYI, Wisconsin Law:

from the 2000 Huntig Regs:

"Deer and bear may be hunted with handguns which are loaded with .357, .41 and .44 magnum caliber cartidges. Other caliber handguns chambered for commerically-manufactured cartridges which produce a minimum muzzle energy of 1000 foot-pounds are also legal. These handguns must have a minimum barrel length of 5.5 inches, measured from the firing pin with the action closed"
Old February 19, 2001, 09:47 PM   #30
Mrgunslinger

I use a comperitor pistol in 2506 and have killed deer out to 500 yards.
The average distance is around 250 yds.
I have killed 2 at 400 yds and one at a measured 512 yds all one shot kills and of the 15 whitetails that have been handgun kills not one miss.
Old February 20, 2001, 07:54 PM   #31
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

I don't plan on actually hunting deer or hog with a handgun until I get my Taurus Tracker .41.

I have killed a deer with a .40 S&W, but he had already taken a solid shoulder to rib shot from a .35 Remington. It had just been over 25 minutes, and he didn't know he was dead yet...

The 155-grn XTP I slipped under his jaw from 15 yards (this ammo had chrono'd at avg 1170 fps) put him down instantly. This same shot would have put him down just the same way if it had been the first shot, but I had ideal circumstances: a n almost stationary deer presenting me with a perfect close-range shot in very decent light.

If I'm hungry, I'd much sooner use my .45-70, or one of my 12's, or my laid-away .35 Whelen, or my projected .250/3000, or even my .30 Carbine...