The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 2, 2009, 01:30 PM   #1
cottontop

Winchester 1400 opinions please.

I am looking for a semi auto for dove hunting. I am not looking for a show or investment piece, I have those covered. I want a WOOƐ stocked workhorse. Will a 1400 fit this need? Please explain any pros or cons. "They succk" doesn't help. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old September 3, 2009, 11:08 PM   #2
buymore

Most of them are very good! A few problems, but since I had a very good one, I suspect maybe abuse caused them to not hold up. They do have an aluminum receiver, so that part can wear more than a steel receiver like an 1100 or others.

I've seen more good posts than bad. People love to complain, but you rarely hear people give unsolicted good reviews.
Old September 5, 2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

1400 owners seem to be a happy lot. The ones I've shot reduce the kick well, and point like my finger.

If the price is right, grab it.

Some parts may be needed, but I dunno which ones.

Ask Brownells' what gets ordered most.

HTH....
Old September 5, 2009, 08:22 PM   #4
ebutler462

The 1400 is a perfect example of how cheaply a gun can be made that works. I have had them in the past. They don't hold up very well when used a lot. It is not a workhorse. Good luck on finding parts.
Old September 9, 2009, 06:35 PM   #5
cottontop

Thanks for the replies. I passed on one that was probly 98% for $200. Beautiful gun but was afraid it would change my opinion of Win. auto loaders. My last was a mdl 59 and I truly loved that gun. Unfortunately it was stolen. Thanks again.