The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 14, 2006, 08:00 AM   #1
waybar

Holster for 357 mag

Have a Ruger GP100 revolver with a 4" barrel. Anyone recommend a good holster for belt on the hip, that will not damage finish?
Old December 15, 2006, 08:27 PM   #2
Dwight55

Get one that is made of "double layer" leather, . . . in other words get a lined one. Just make sure that the lining is not suede or similar type leather, . . . some suede leathers are tanned using a process that will work on the finish of a handgun, . . . especially a blued one.

Look for one that has a channel in the front of it for your front sight, . . . the holster can be sewn, laced, or riveted together, . . . those are all good, . . . but you want to see slick side leather where the leather touches the gun.

Some of the better makers also make some of their IWB holsters in a "rough side out" configuration, . . . which again puts the slick side of the leather against the weapon.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old December 24, 2006, 02:37 PM   #3
NCHornet

As I said in another post I am not a fan of IWB holsters for any of my guns. For a revolver, or pistol for the matter, I prefer a good quality leather pancake holster. I have them in nylon but prefer the leather. I just purchased a carry loc by Bianchi and I am very impreesed by it. I am sure they make one for your Ruger. It is a auto retention holster so your gun will not fall out but can be quickly drawn by depressing a lever. See my write up on it in this section. Probably the nicest holster I own right now.