The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 8, 2005, 03:33 PM   #1
MissMak

Single Stage Press

I've been inspired - I want to try to reload 45 acp's, my friend suggested I learn on a single stage press so I dont blow myself up - pain in the rear, but the press is cheaper too - so which one should I get?
Old July 8, 2005, 04:13 PM   #2
Erich

I don't know that it matters. I went with Lee twenty years ago, and am still happily using it.
Old July 8, 2005, 04:32 PM   #3
zeisloft

At this stage, it is a Ford/Chevy thing, in my opinion anyway. I started with a RCBS Rock Chucker and its still on my bench (along with a few others). Check around ebay etc, you can probably pick up one second hand.
~z
Old July 8, 2005, 06:28 PM   #4
Russ5924

Take a look at the Lee Deluxe kit before you get a single
Old July 8, 2005, 07:38 PM   #5
donkee

I'd say the LEE classic cast. It's cheap enough and built like a brick you know what. Mine has been great. I would also suggest a LEE auto disc powder measure. The combination of the two is a wonderful thing for loading pistol calibers.......
Old July 8, 2005, 08:51 PM   #6
Leftoverdj

Lotta choices, MissMak. No real bad ones for .45 ACP. Rockchucker is the gold standard, but it's overkill if you are never going to load rifle cartridges.
Old July 8, 2005, 10:34 PM   #7
rwilson452

Which press

If I was starting again I think I would pick the Lee 4 hole turret with auto indexing kit. I would remove the auto indexing and use it as a single stage until I was totally in tune with the process. once your in the groove replace the auto indexing and you have somewhat of a progressive press. I would also get the lee factory crimp die and crimp as a separate step.
Old July 11, 2005, 08:04 AM   #8
MADISON

Start with a Single Stage Press

Your friend is right. You need to know exactly what is going on/what you are doing at each step during the reloading process.
Old July 11, 2005, 01:46 PM   #9
JoeHatley

I replaced my RCBS with a Lee Classic. It's a great value.

Joe
Old July 11, 2005, 03:05 PM   #10
BigSlick

Buy the Rock Chucker.

When you move on to a progressive, you will still find lots of uses for it. The warranty is lifetime (as opposed to two years, and the mood of Lee on any given day) and if you ever want to sell it to get your bucks out of it, it will be an easy task.

For dies, I always use Dillon or Redding, unless I find a deal I can't pass up. Dillon, RCBS and Redding also offer lifetime warranty on their dies. I don't know about Hornady, Lyman or Lee.

I like Redding shell holders, but most are about the same.

If you're looking for cheap, any of the O frames will probably work well. I would look for a Redding, Lyman, Hornady (Pacific) or RCBS. You can find these at gunshows from time to time. Most aren't pretty, but are usually, certainly still functional.

In any event, welcome to the world of reloading... it's satisfying, it's addictive and will help you shoot more for the same money.

Let us know what you decide

BigSlick
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.
Old July 11, 2005, 05:33 PM   #11
J.D.B.

MissMak, If you want it, I have a an old Lee "square-O" that came in my first Lee anniversary kit. Can't be too much to ship it, and if will "infect" another shooter with "loaditis" I'm all for it as its just sitting there since I went to a Rockchucker some years back.
Josh
Old July 12, 2005, 01:11 PM   #12
MissMak

Thanks

Thanks for the advice, esp Josh for your offer, my buddy said he would loan me his single stage press until I get sick of it and understand the whole process. Then I'll either spring for the Rock Chucker (to make my buddy's eyes get as big as manhole covers) or a Dillion 550. Either way, WOOHOO I'm on my way to unlimited 45 ammo, and that my friends, is priceless.