The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 16, 2013, 01:14 AM   #1
davidsoc

small safe handgun storage questions

hey all, i posted on the rifle section a few weeks ago asking about full size safes...but since then i have had to dump most of my money into my motorcycle so a full size safe is out of my budget for a while.

i would really like to get a small safe large enough for atleast 3 handguns for now and get a full size safe later on.

so the questions i have are:

what is a good small safe for handguns?

have any of you used a small safe for long term storage of a handgun?

whats the best way to set up a small safe? are there any models that allow bolting to the floor?

thanks for any advice
Old March 16, 2013, 06:48 AM   #2
thedudeabides

When I lived in a rental house I had a small Sentry combination fire safe I bought for 180 bucks on-line and then bolted to the floor in the bedroom closet.

It only came with 2 shelves, but you can buy more from Sentry. Four shelves will fit 8 semis in this tiny little safe. I used a trigger lock for my shotgun and kept the key in the safe.

Oh, and get a case of dessicant packets from amazon and scatter those little critters around liberally so your guns don't rust. Even "airtight" safes can be moisture wicks because they're a lump of steel.

I bought a proper long gun safe when I got my own house.
Old March 16, 2013, 06:57 AM   #3
mdcmn7

Re: small safe handgun storage questions

I would have to say the answer really depends on your needs. Do you need fire protection, criminal protection, or just from curious kids? Does it need to be handy in an emergency?

There are a ton of small safe options, in varying price ranges, that will fit different needs

Wander into lowes, home depot or even staples and see what they offer, most can be made to fit your needs and almost all of them could bolt to the floor.

Remember a safe not secured to the house is just a handy carrying case for a thief
Old March 16, 2013, 07:30 AM   #4
ScottRiqui

I have the Gunvault "Multivault Standard" bolted to the top of a heavy cabinet. Two shelves, and it will hold four handguns (although depending on the size of the guns, you'll probably have to remove the "front" gun on each shelf to get to the "back" gun behind it.) It has a four-button touchpad lock, with a key backup, and there's a biometric version if you're interested.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:37 AM   #5
Globeguy

http://www.fas1safe.com/

Lock is all mechanical, nothing electronic to fail, no batteries to die.

This is definitely to guard your handgun from children. Anybody with powertools can pray this thing open.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:41 AM   #6
ScottRiqui

Quote:
http://www.fas1safe.com/

Lock is all mechanical, nothing electronic to fail, no batteries to die.
Nice safe, but do they make a model that holds more than just one handgun?
Old March 16, 2013, 07:43 AM   #7
Globeguy

Ah, I did not see that requirement. FAS1 is all 1 handgun only safe as far as I know.
Old March 16, 2013, 01:48 PM   #8
davidsoc

Hey all thanks for the replies and sorry for being a little vague in my OP

I want the safe for criminal protection, and it would be nice if it was fire resistant. Quick access isnt a concern for me i'd rather have a stronger safe than a quick access one.
Old March 16, 2013, 01:53 PM   #9
ScottRiqui

There aren't a lot of true "safes" that small, but I'll see if I can come up with any suggestions.

Whatever you do, don't get one of those fire-resistant "document safes" from Office Depot or anything like that. The reason they're fire-resistant is that they have layers of moisture-impregnated material in the walls and door of the safe. That keeps the inside of the safe damp, and it will absolutely ruin the finish on your guns.
Old March 16, 2013, 08:14 PM   #10
hubris

Lowe's has a Sentry safe for about $108 that is .8 cu ft.It is fire and water proof to certain standards.Importantly,it is still both after being bolted down;many fire/water proof safes are not. There is a combi lock with a key back up..another detail is the lock is metal,thus won't melt while in the fire.I spent about a month reading specs and reviews before choosing this one.There is a 1.03 cu ft model for about $50 more.
Old March 16, 2013, 08:25 PM   #11
ScottRiqui

Quote:
Lowe's has a Sentry safe for about $108 that is .8 cu ft.It is fire and water proof to certain standards.Importantly,it is still both after being bolted down;many fire/water proof safes are not. There is a combi lock with a key back up..another detail is the lock is metal,thus won't melt while in the fire.I spent about a month reading specs and reviews before choosing this one.There is a 1.03 cu ft model for about $50 more.
Be careful - that's one of the models I was talking about that has high-moisture insulation to provide the fire protection. From the owners' manual:

"DO NOT store delicate items directly in your safe. SentrySafe products which offer fire protection have a proprietary insulation that has a high moisture content. In addition the SentrySafe advanced safes close airtight to offer water resistance, which may also cause moisture to accumulate inside your safe.

The desiccant packet included in your safe during shipment should be left in your safe. DO NOT DISCARD IT. It is intended to help absorb moisture which may accumulate inside your safe. Please open your unit periodically to avoid moisture accumulation.

If you choose to store delicate items such as jewelry with working parts, watches, stamps, or photos in your safe, we recommend putting them in an air-tight container, prior to placing them in the safe for storage.

NOTE: Sentry Group will not be responsible for any damage or loss of items placed in the unit due to moisture."

I left a nickled revolver in one of the Sentrysafes for two years while I was stationed in California, and when I came back it was a rusted mess.
Old March 16, 2013, 08:49 PM   #12
FAS1

small safe handgun storage questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui View Post
Nice safe, but do they make a model that holds more than just one handgun?
I keep a G17 in mine with a few spare magazines under the barrel and my G26 EDC laying to the right side on the bottom. In the FAS1-Magnum another could be possible depending on the gun sizes since it is 1/2" wider.
Old March 18, 2013, 04:06 AM   #13
davidsoc

maybe fire resistance isnt so important for me...if my house caught fire im sure my guns would be the last thing on my mind and i dont really plan on storing money or other valuables in the safe just pistols, magazines and ammo
Old April 7, 2013, 03:40 AM   #14
davidsoc

how would the fas1 safe be for long term storage? I just want something hard to break into that i can put two pistols in and forget about them for up to 6 months
Old April 7, 2013, 10:56 AM   #15
FAS1

Quote:
davidsoc
how would the fas1 safe be for long term storage? I just want something hard to break into that i can put two pistols in and forget about them for up to 6 months
My G17 has been stored this way for the last 4 years with no problems. It's my home defense gun and always is in there.

Since it is thick steel (3/16"/7ga) it is more robust than most. Securing to something solid is a big part of being resistant to theft. If you do that and have it in a discrete place that's even better. You can anchor to the floor with concrete anchors and it would be pretty solid for it's size. Especially if you can also get it up against a wall or in a corner where it can be attached to a wall stud from the side and or the back.

You can mount it horizontally as well and bolt from any of the sides too.
Old April 11, 2013, 04:09 AM   #16
JimmyR

For my medium sized handgun collection, I keep mine in a Frontier Underbed Safe. I picked mine up locally for about half the price in the link, but it was the only one I could find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frontier-Und...item4ac355af3b

What I love is that I can tuck this under my bed, and with a bed skirt, it hides the safe beautifully.
Old September 6, 2013, 12:17 PM   #17
grsthegreat

beware of cannon safes

i Purchased a brand new Gunvault biometric svb500 (sold thru Cannon Safes) that failed right out of the box. Called customer service and they told me to try new batteries. I bought brand new set, still failed.

Same customer service joker told me he would contact me in a few days with RMA instructions. One week later i called back and they stated that they have never heard from me before. Even though i talked to same guy, he acted like hes never heard of this issue before. I went all through it again, and he promised me hed contact me within 24 hours.

One week later i called, and they would only put me thru to voice mail. I emailed them, and get NO response back.

I have lodged complaint thru credit card company, and there reversing the charges for me.

Since this happened, ive talked with many dissatisfied customers of gunvaults. Its a great idea, but built crappy in China.

My advise is to stay away...stay very faraway from them.