The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 28, 2011, 03:04 PM   #1
davis21b

Coyote and beaver

I have been wanting to do some coyote and beaver hunting lately. I don't really know what to do with them afterward can you sell the pelts or tail if so how much is a good price.
Old January 28, 2011, 03:18 PM   #2
BILLDAVE

Check with a local Taxidermist

Don't think you get to much for a coyote, but you could for a beaver. Check with your local Taxidermist. He would know more. I heard they sell left behind mounts.
BILLDAVE
Old January 28, 2011, 03:22 PM   #3
langenc

Around here an unskinned, fleshed and dried pelt for either would do little more than 7-8 bucks-depending on size. Anything less than a really large beaver would do well to get that.

Im not sure of the legalities of shooting beaver, but I suspect illegal.
Old January 28, 2011, 04:47 PM   #4
markj

Some folks eat the beaver tail and the pelts can bring a bit if done right and not all shot up.
Old January 28, 2011, 04:58 PM   #5
k31

go to trapperman.com ask those guys i know in some states yotes have a bounty in tooele utah its 20$ a pop and if it is the right color you can get more for the hide
trappman will tell you all about fur handling how to properly skin it for the most money how to dry where to find your game
they are a very good source but if they even think your fart smells anti trapping they will be an your back a dogs on three legged cat it isnt pretty so watch what yousay lol good luck
Old January 29, 2011, 02:31 AM   #6
stevelyn

Depends on the origin. Good prime northern pelts are going to bring more than those down south.

On the yotes, case skin them and leave the feet intact, turn the ears and split the lips......they'll bring more.

Beaver are a pain to skin and flesh because of the fat. The skin has to be cut away from the carcass. You'll need someone of experience to show you how. It's actually pretty simple, but time consuming. Any bullet holes should be sewn up with waxed dental floss before you put the fur on a stretcher.

predatormasters.com also has a trapping and fur handling subforum with info on fur handling.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.