The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 17, 2001, 11:54 PM   #1
DeBee

Rem Factory Syn Stock vs Speedfeed Solid Stock

Has anyone compared the Remington 870 standard factory black synthetic stock to the Speedfeed Solid stock with "peebling" on the wrist/grip area?

Which is superior?
Old November 18, 2001, 05:15 PM   #2
DML

They both work just fine. I kind of like the feel of the Speedfeed stocks. They feel solid as opposed to the hollow Remington stock. Even though the butt pad of the Remington stock is larger, the Speedfeed stock seems to absorb recoil better.

Another plus for Speedfeed is that they are available as short as 12 1/2" LOP.

By the way, Remington puts a delux plastic stock on some of their shotguns that looks like it could have been made by Speedfeed. I have seen the same stock with a script "SF" on the grip cap instead of "RA". I could be wrong about this. It's just my observation.
Old November 18, 2001, 10:15 PM   #3
K80Geoff

In my limited experience with plastic stocks. I was advised by several people using Remington shotguns (mostly 1100 and 11-87s) that the speedfeed stocks were superior to the Remington stocks. The general consensus is that they are made of heavier plastic and just work better. Most of these folks shot Sporting Clays with the guns.

I have a speedfeed on one of my 870's, I prefer it to the wood stock that came with the gun (870 express). Works for me.
Old November 19, 2001, 04:05 PM   #4
DeBee

Thanks for the input...

I recently acquired a Speedfeed solid stock and was impressed with the sturdiness-- I've never been able to examine the Remington synthetic stock out of the package.

I would have loved to get the 12 1/2" LOP. Do you think it is the same Speedfeed stock just cut down or do they use a different mold?

Any thoughts appreciated...
Old November 19, 2001, 05:15 PM   #5
lunde

Speedfeed's web site is here: http://www.speedfeedinc.com/

A standard stock with a shorter pull would be their youth version. They also sell a shortened pistolgrip stock: Speedfeed IV-S tactical.

If you don't need the forend, Arizona Gun Runners sells the stocks individually at seemingly good prices. See: http://www.arizonagunrunners.com/Pro...speedfeed.html