The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 16, 2012, 10:36 PM   #1
deerslayer303

Where do these parts go.

I know my Lyman GPR is missing the ram rod spring screw, and the ram rod clip spring.. But this may sound stupid but where in the world do they go, I just had the GPR apart for cleaning but I don't even see an empty threaded hole for the screw. And from this
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/m.../lyc-ml-gp.pdf
I can't tell how it goes together. My ram rod just falls right out when the rifle is tilted down. Can someone post a pic of how this goes together.
Old February 16, 2012, 11:58 PM   #2
MJN77

They go on the under rib, behind the second ramrod pipe. Hope these help.

Old February 17, 2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Pahoo

Contact Lyman

I'll bet that if you contact Lyman, they would probably send you one, free of charge. I have worked with these folks, in the past and they are great to work with. It's easy for these to come loose and away they go. I have a spare but set but not sure of it's origin. .....

That is a very good picture, that MJN77 has posted, showing it's location. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old February 18, 2012, 11:06 AM   #4
deerslayer303

Thanks MJN that helps alot. And I will call Lyman next week. I definately do not have one. When I get home Monday I'm gonna look again and compare mine to your pics.
Old February 20, 2012, 06:53 PM   #5
deerslayer303

My rifle doesn't have a spot on the rib for the spring and screw to go. I wonder if mine is just an old one and doesn't have one. If this is the case what in the world holds the ram rod in?
Old February 20, 2012, 07:10 PM   #6
deerslayer303

My rail is just one solid piece not screw holes or cut outs for the spring.
Old February 22, 2012, 04:29 AM   #7
arcticap

Many of the Spanish guns have a ramrod spring located inside the stock. However with those guns, there's an opening in the stock between the barrel channel and ramrod hole, which allows the spring to swing upward and contact the bottom of the barrel which in turn places enough pressure on the ramrod to hold it in place.
The ramrod spring is designed to pivot and is not stationary.

See the diagram:

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/cm...Kit_manual.pdf

It may be possible to simply wrap a piece of tape around the ramrod to tighten its fit within the stock.
IIRC a more traditional method is to melt a small bead of wax or beeswax inside of the opening of the ramrod hole which should help to wedge the ramrod in place using a friction fit. When the wax wears out then add some more.

Last edited by arcticap; February 22, 2012 at 04:41 AM.
Old February 22, 2012, 05:02 AM   #8
shortwave

If you check out the diagram articap posted, look at item 'T'. That's your ramrod retaining spring.

If yours is missing, naturally you can order one. If its there but not retaining ramrod, you can put more of a bend in it to tighten it up against ramrod.
Old February 22, 2012, 08:05 AM   #9
mykeal

Quote:
If you check out the diagram articap posted, look at item 'T'. That's your ramrod retaining spring.
Not on a GPR.

The OP correctly identified the parts (No. 1 & 2) in the diagram in the link in his original post. If the underrib rail does not have a screw hole to mount it you'll either need to drill and tap one or get a new rail. Call Lyman and talk to them.
Old February 22, 2012, 01:30 PM   #10
shortwave

Oooops...you are correct mykeal.

I think articap was showing the difference in the two most common places for the ramrod retainer in most type bp rifles. Either mounted on the bbl. or under bbl the stock.

The GPR is most certainly on the bbl.