The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 30, 2008, 03:53 PM   #1
ColBuckshot

Stoeger side by side coach gun

Novice here, just bought a new Stoeger side by side coach gun.
When breaking open its a little tight but not unusually so for a new gun. However when I use a couple of snap caps or spent shells it becomes next to impossible to open. Once I do and just go back to opening and closing without working the triggers its the same as before not that hard to open.
Can anyone tell me what makes it so hard to open when working the triggers.
Old October 30, 2008, 06:21 PM   #2
hillbille

I'm pretty sure once fired, when you break the action open and close it again it resets the safety and cocks the hammer/action for the next shot.
Old October 30, 2008, 06:39 PM   #3
ColBuckshot

I cut short the pin that sets the safety on each time, i understand after opening it resets the triggers for the next time. Im still not understanding why it becomes so hard to open after firing the triggers.
Old October 31, 2008, 08:51 AM   #4
ebutler462

When you open the action after firing the gun, the opening action cocks the hammers. If you haven't fired it and are just opening and closing, it will be easy since the hammers are already cocked. It takes force to cock the hammers. Once they are cocked, it is easy to open and close. But-when you fire or dry fire the gun, the hammers will cock again the next time you open the gun. Thus the force needed to open the gun.
Old October 31, 2008, 11:29 AM   #5
zippy13

I don't know about your coach gun (Stoeger's specs are vague), but many top break guns have ejectors as well as extractors. So, if you've dry-fired, you're also resetting the ejector spring/s when you open.

Since it's a new gun, have you done an thorough initial cleaning and light oiling? The center pin pivot areas need a light grease -- a Perazzi factory mechanic once confessed to using a 50/50 mixture of Vaseline and 30W hi-detergent motor oil.

Last edited by zippy13; October 31, 2008 at 01:40 PM. Reason: CT4S
Old October 31, 2008, 01:30 PM   #6
ColBuckshot

anyone have an idea about lightening up the presure needed to cock the internal hammers
Old October 31, 2008, 01:37 PM   #7
45Marlin carbine

I have one of those that I enjoy shooting and it shoots great. IC right bbl, Modified left bbl.
it is a tight action but has loosened some.
I had to install some tacks at the bottom of the fore-end cocking grooves because the spring pressure on the arms had pressed the wood down so much it would not cock one barrel. maybe a soft spot in the wood. I filed the heads of the tacks square to fit the slots and used a punch to drive them in securely, does fine now, the arms rest on the metal heads.
Old October 31, 2008, 01:55 PM   #8
zippy13

Rest assured, you're not the only one to have this problem. You wouldn't be the first to use the leg-over method to open your coach gun. Before you do anything drastic, please check out this reference and its links.
Good luck
Old October 31, 2008, 02:06 PM   #9
ColBuckshot

Thank you Zippy, hopefully this will help, my knee is getting sore already,
might need to use my head its a lot harder.
Old October 31, 2008, 07:29 PM   #10
vitesse9

Mine had the same problem

when it was new. If yours is like mine, it should get easier to break open after you work it a bit. I'd take snap caps and break open then fire, break open then fire 100 times. Or, for more fun, you could just take it to the range and shoot 200 rounds. At any rate, give a few weeks before you do any work on it.
Old October 31, 2008, 07:57 PM   #11
ColBuckshot

Thanks to all who contributed

Ive now done about as much as I can, I'll fire a few rounds of skeet and see.
Old October 31, 2008, 11:11 PM   #12
Sgt.Fathead

My Coach Gun was super stiff and unlike my wife Stoeger Uplander in 20g, the short barrels on the 12 made it the tough proposition you mention to open. I took to tucking the stock between my arm and body, right handed, right side, and releasing the action with my right hand thumb while jerking it back and push-pulling the barrels down. Tough to describe but, once I'd fired this gun a lot, it loosened up considerably. It is now our kitchen gun for unwanted visitors.