FLA2760

Fobus Gun Grab Video

Hi
Check this out!

http://media.putfile.com/gungrab-fobus
Old June 22, 2006, 08:01 AM   #2
hornet41

gun grab

Darn, I have three of those holsters!!! Got some thinking to do!!!! Thats scarey!
Old June 22, 2006, 10:35 AM   #3
Topthis

I had seen this video before. It appears that the "victim" is helping to push down also. I had tried this out with a friend of mine...it took ALOT of effort on his part to get the holster to separate, in fact there was much struggling etc, I could have easily given him a few elbows to the face and other types of blows...way before he was able to separate the holster. Perhaps it is just like guns...sometimes you get a lemon...as in the case of this particular one in the video.
Old June 22, 2006, 10:37 AM   #4
VUPDblue

practice the first 'C' in 'CCW' and this won't be an issue...
Old June 22, 2006, 11:04 AM   #5
hsim

Does anyone really use one for carry? they are not the easiest to conceal.
Old June 22, 2006, 11:11 AM   #6
VUPDblue

I use the paddle holster for my G36 and for my snubby Chief's Special. They conceal perfectly for me.
Old June 22, 2006, 11:18 AM   #7
silicon wolverine

I have a paddle lefty for my glock 17 and as long as you wear a shirt thats long enough, no problems.

SW
Old June 22, 2006, 01:32 PM   #8
FLA2760

Re Fobus

I use a Fobus for my Glock27 around the house and property. I utilize an IWB rig for the rest of the time.
Old June 22, 2006, 01:59 PM   #9
Samurai

This is one of the big problems about carrying weapons. Sometimes, when stuff goes downhill, all you accomplish by bringing a weapon to the scene is to better arm your enemy. This is why people who carry need to train!

I saw a police video on one of the news channels a few weeks ago where a guy beat up a cop in a routine traffic stop. The cop had a strong-side kydex holster for his Glock, which required that he lift his right elbow upward and behind him to draw it. All the bad guy did was get behind the cop, body check him against his own squad car, and place his hand on the back of the cop's right elbow, while delivering left-handed elbows to the back of the cop's head. The attack went on close to a minute, and the cop was completely unable to draw on the guy, because the cop couldn't lift his elbow.

So, what do we learn? Do not ever RELY on having a weapon to give you superior power over a determined assailant. Weapons are great, if you have them. But never forget that they can be taken away from you. Train in weapon retention. Train in weapon recovery. Train in weapon improvisation. And above all else, train to be able to get OUT of one of these bad situations.

Watch the video again. If the guy wearing the holster had grabbed the gun with both hands and spun around 360 degrees to his right, he could have gotten out of this. But, he would have to know how to do it, and he'd have to be able to fire off the technique quickly.

Train well.
Old June 22, 2006, 02:24 PM   #10
k9lwt

That's why defensive tactics are so important. You need to be able to get him out of the fight and take him into custody before he can take over the situation.
Old June 22, 2006, 02:38 PM   #11
Lavan

And .....STILL..... nobody uses lanyards.
Old June 22, 2006, 03:03 PM   #12
FLA2760

Re Lanyard

Hi
I have a leather boot lace that I use as a lanyard on my extra large cold steel voyager. I did this mainly for when I use the knife while on the boat fishing. I do not use it on any of my firearms though.
Old June 22, 2006, 03:11 PM   #13
dawg23

Posted 6/22/06 by Topthis: "I had seen this video before. It appears that the "victim" is helping to push down also. I had tried this out with a friend of mine...it took ALOT of effort on his part to get the holster to separate, in fact there was much struggling etc, I could have easily given him a few elbows to the face and other types of blows...way before he was able to separate the holster. Perhaps it is just like guns...sometimes you get a lemon...as in the case of this particular one in the video.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but:

1. In every training class I've ever taken, you are taught to push the weapon down into the holster as hard as you can to keep the perp from pulling it out. So, yeah, the "victim" was "helping push down."

2. If you use your arm to deliver all those elbow strikes, you will get shot. As soon as you let go of the weapon, he pulls it out of the holster and shoots you.

3. That holster isn't a lemon. It's a typical Fobus. James Yeager LOVES to get students in his classes with Fobus holsters, and the same procedure is demonstrated. I first saw it done YEARS ago.

4. Of course, if someone REALLY LOVES his or her Fobus, and want to keep his or her head in the sand (or stuck in his or her rectum), they should keep using the Fobus.

5. Everyone else should invest $20 in an Uncle Mike, or $25 in a Blade Tech or (for the best I've found) invest $50 in a Comp-Tac. The Uncle Mike doesn't conceal any better than the Fobus (i.e. poorly), but the Blade Tech and Comp-Tac do an exceptionally good job. The added bonus of the Comp-Tac is that the paddle holsters slip off or on in 2-3 seconds, but CAN'T be removed by a perp.

BOTTOM LINE: Fobus holsters are inferior to almost every Kydex holster on the market. But they are fiercely defended by folks who (apparently) have never tried anything else.

Last edited by dawg23; June 22, 2006 at 04:14 PM.
Old June 22, 2006, 03:50 PM   #14
cal

Dwg23

I call BS on your post.
Old June 22, 2006, 04:12 PM   #15
dawg23

Cal Calls BS

Another Fobus owner weighs in.
Old June 22, 2006, 04:24 PM   #16
tshadow6

fobus

I use one to ccw my Glock 19. I like them so much I became a dealer.
Old June 22, 2006, 04:31 PM   #17
tshadow6

gun grab

I got into a fight with a bad guy while wearing my duty weapon in plain view. As soon as he began to resist, I applied overwhelming force to subdue him. The gun grab video shows a large man standing by while another guy grabs his weapon. Anything can be proved wrong if one tries hard enough. I'll keep my Fobus .
Old June 22, 2006, 05:55 PM   #18
Rainbow Six

I've never cared for Fobus. Threw all of mine in the trash a few years ago. They always seemed/felt like cheap junk to me.

I'd like to see them try that with a Blackhawk CQC Serpa paddle. I bet the guy's pants/belt would come down before the Blackhawk came apart.

As for talking about weapon retention, only those who have fought for their weapon are qualified to comment. It's easy to tell who has and who hasn't by their comments... Enough said.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper
Old June 22, 2006, 05:57 PM   #19
Rainbow Six

And to all who call BS... this isn't the first time this Fobus flaw has been documented...

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper
Old June 22, 2006, 06:24 PM   #20
liliysdad

With the paddel attached, the same thing can be done with the Blackhawk CQC. They have a bad habit of pulling the screws through the plastic.

For the monsy, the BladTec injection molded holsteris the best thing going, if you need/want a cheap holster. They are ten dollars in from Brownells,and are attached with large headed screws. Paddles are NEVER a good idea.

Fobus are complete junk, and are good for absolutely nothing. Uncle Mikes is far, far better.
Old June 22, 2006, 07:06 PM   #21
Lavan

mmm

Last edited by Lavan; June 22, 2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old June 22, 2006, 07:15 PM   #22
DanV1317

1. Concealed Carry. Use it.
2. I wouldn't use a fobus even if they offered to sponser me.
Old June 22, 2006, 07:24 PM   #23
Topthis

In response to your rebutt to my post...

1. When I was testing this out with my friend, I did not need to push down and instead grabbed his hand. It took him a helluva lot longer to pull my holster apart and there was alot more struggling and effort on his part.

2. I can guarantee you that after 30 years of Martial Arts training in 5 different styles (not that it makes a diff.), he will NOT be able to do much of anything after one or two elbows to his face. Not only that, I MOCK struck him in the face while he was doing this.

3. If it was a typical Fobus in the Video...maybe mine is an exceptionally awesome model, in that it did not come apart so easily.

4. Gee..how can anyone take your number 4 comment the wrong way!

5. I have a number of holsters that I use...and I will still keep my Fobus.

But please don't take my responses the wrong way!!
Old June 22, 2006, 09:18 PM   #24

I guess I have to talk crap here.

If I paid to go to a formal class (usually right around a grand just for the tuition) and the instructor tore my holster apart, I promise you that we would be brawling for real.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old June 23, 2006, 01:08 AM   #25
tINY

For a convienent carrier for my G21 (under a coat). It's the best $17 I ever spent....

-tINY