The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 16, 2001, 11:58 PM   #1
Cosmoline

Problem with Mossberg

I took my Mossberg 500 to the range to try out some hot slugs today, and had a nasty surprise. Every time I fired, the bolt was coming loose! At first I thought I must be hitting the release switch on the recoil, but I fired again and made sure I didn't. It looks like the bolt is coming loose on its own, yet in all other ways the action seems to function fine. Any thoughts?
Old November 17, 2001, 01:09 AM   #2
Bobshouse

Mossberg design their shotguns so the bolt will open after being fired, supposedly it helps speed up the racking of another round. You can read about it at their site...

Bob
Old November 17, 2001, 06:59 AM   #3
deanf

None of mine have ever done it, but sure enough, from their site FAQ:

Quote:
Every time I shoot my pump, the action comes back? Pump actions will do that. It prevents the action from locking up and helps for a faster follow-up shot. The shooter should control the forearm forward to reduce unnecessary wear and recoil on the action.
Old November 18, 2001, 09:02 PM   #4
Cosmoline

Well I'll be sheep dipped!

It's *supposed* to do that? Scared the hell out of me. When a bolt or lever action rifle does that, you're in deep trouble. Guess I've still got a lot to learn about shotguns.

Thanks!
Old November 19, 2001, 01:47 AM   #5
swampgator

Try light loads and see if it still happens.
I've had a Mossy 20 for almost fifteen years and don't remember it ever doing it in over 1500 rounds (conservative estimate). However I did notice it when shooting buck and slugs out of my Mossy 12. I think it probably does with each shot, we just notice it more with heavier recoil.

Gator