The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 7, 2017, 07:00 PM   #1
'88Scrat

First Time CMP Buyer

So I finally did it, after years of kicking the idea around I mailed in on Tuesday my order for a Service Grade M1 Garand from the CMP. According to the tracking they received it at 11:36 this morning in Anniston, Alabama.

Now what? Do I just wait for my rifle to show up or will I receive some kind of confirmation? I did some slinking around on the CMP forums and people kept saying something about their order showing up in the E-Store.

I never was asked nor did I see a place to sign up for something like that, did I miss something?
Old September 7, 2017, 11:30 PM   #2
10-96

Congrats on taking the plunge. I don't have any answers, but I've also been tinkering with the idea of throwing my order their way. But on the other hand, I can't help but think I need to wait out the Philippine shipment and hope for barreled receivers to come available. My first M1 turned out to be a Bannerman and my conscious won't let me sell it knowing what it is (even though it shoots great).

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 8, 2017, 02:02 AM   #3
Tad_T

You will receive an email confirmation of your order. You will see that referred to on the CMP forum as a DBU. That stands for Don't Bother Us.

In that email will be your Customer Number. With that you can go to the E-Store and open an account. From your My Account page, you will then be able to track your orders.
Old September 8, 2017, 05:17 AM   #4
1stmar

I thought they only had special grades left.
Old September 8, 2017, 10:59 AM   #5
kraigwy

If you bought a rifle you can log in to their E-store and if it isnt there, you can sign up. After that you can check your orders for the status of your rifle.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 8, 2017, 02:56 PM   #6
'88Scrat

I'm still waiting on the DBU email but it sounds like its pretty straightforward after that, create account, track order progress, receive rifle.

Old September 15, 2017, 07:39 PM   #7
'88Scrat

So...

It's been 8 days aince the CMP received my order and I have not heard anything. Nothing, not even a DBU email.

At what point do I become concerned?
Old September 15, 2017, 08:16 PM   #8
1stmar

30 days
Old September 18, 2017, 03:34 PM   #9
Model12Win

Just got a whole mess of unopened, new in wrapped authentic USGI M1911A1 .45 ACP military surplus magazines from the CMP. They are AWESOME!!!!
Old September 20, 2017, 08:23 PM   #10
'88Scrat

I received the confirmation email earlier today!

I haven't been this giddy since Christmas morning when I was about 6!

One question though, what do I do with the customer number they gave me?

I've read online it has to do with the e-store but I don't see anywhere where they ask for it.
Old September 21, 2017, 02:00 AM   #11
Ibmikey

Save the customer number for the top right hand space on your next CMP order, you probably are signed into their computer and a customer number is not needed to further identify you.
Old September 27, 2017, 05:37 PM   #12
'88Scrat

It arrived today! Well actually yesterday but I wasn't home when the Fed-Ex guy showed up...

It's just what I thought it would be with one exception, it still has a USGI stock. I thought sure I would get one with a new walnut CMP stock. Most of the posts I saw on the CMP forums would leave me to beleive this is the exception, most people recently have been getting the new stock.

Its odd but I actually would have prefered a new stock. It'll be a shooter not a safe queen and I don't want to hurt the value of a USGI stock in any way. I notice you can buy a new CMP stock for about $125.

Is it worth trying to keep the USGI stock in good shape (well not any worse shape anyway, it looks like its seen some things...) and put a new stock on it or just shoot it as is?
Old September 28, 2017, 08:34 AM   #13
Fishbed77

Quote:
Is it worth trying to keep the USGI stock in good shape (well not any worse shape anyway, it looks like its seen some things...) and put a new stock on it or just shoot it as is?
That USGI stock has endured 70 years with much worse abuse than you'll ever give it. Unless it has some rare cartouche or inspector's stamp, I'd leave it on there and enjoy your rifle.
Old September 28, 2017, 05:25 PM   #14
'88Scrat

It does have the Circle P cartouche just behind the trigger group but if memory serves that is nothing special, just a proof mark.