The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 13, 2009, 04:20 PM   #1
Yoosta B. Blue

IWB holsters vs "tuckable" IWB

I've been carrying CCW about 1 1/2 years and like using a Bianchi IWB holster. This means that when I carry, I either have a jacket on, or my shirttail is out to keep things covered up. However, there are times when I either can't wear an outer garment or do not want to have my shirt out. I've been looking at the tuckable variety of IWB holsters. If you have used this type of holster, I'd appreciate hearing of your experiences with same. Thanks!

Yoosta B. Blue
Old August 13, 2009, 06:23 PM   #2
ac700wildcat

I'm wearing a comp-tac mtac holster right now. This holster makes is very easy to carry and have my shirt tucked in at the same time. I tried a Desantis Tuck This II holster first and it was a pain to tuck in properly and was pretty uncomfortable. The mtac is very comfortable and I'm very happy with my purchase. With the 2 belt clips it keeps the weight evenly distributed. If you don't go with an mtac I would highly suggest something with 2 belt clips instead of 1. Having 2 just seems to work better for me.
Old August 13, 2009, 06:34 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I wear a Crossbreed Supertuck carrying a Glock 33. It is tuckable if you do it right though I would imagine that it would be easier with a thinner gun. The holster is VERY comfortable and I almost never have to tuck so it's not a major concern for me. When I do have to tuck the shirt in I make sure to wear an extra long shirt so that I can leave slack around the gun area. If I keep it around 230 on the waist it is acceptable.
Old August 14, 2009, 10:17 AM   #4
OPC

Blade-tech ultimate concealment. I mostly use it as a typical IWB without tucking. It has worked quite well for me on those occasions I did need to tuck. However, I found it works best with shirts cut high on the side or with a split on the side, otherwise it bunches up as one can't tuck it in as far down. Does that make sense?

Holster itself is kydex, adjustable for retention firmness, custom molded for your firearm model and it can be removed without unbuckling. Very good product.
Old August 16, 2009, 01:29 AM   #5
Mike5150

I got a Don Hume Strike I wear daily. i only tuck my shirt in about once a month. I like it a lot, and it's the only one with thumb snap retention (which I like) It looks alright, but I have a Glock 22 (thick) and I feel like it sticks out tucked, so I usually put a phone holster infront of it, makes it look better.
Old August 16, 2009, 10:56 PM   #6
1Oldman

I am not a "small" man...6'1" and 250# and I carry my XD 45 in Tucker Gunleather Answer. I have been at family gatherings, various meetings and out in the public on a daily basis and wear it with my shirt tucked and NEVER been "outed" . I just blouse the shirt a little at the belt and it all blends in with my build. My brother in law was really suprised one day when I needed to borrow a shirt from him (Bar-B-Q sauce) and realized I was carrying concealed. Not a big deal as he does also but I had made a point of not telling anyone, the fewer who know the better as far as I am concerned. I also wear the Silent Thunder by Tucker tucked with the same results. It also really helped when I purchased a gun belt from Tucker, it helps hold the firearm a little more secure against the body. Doesn't twist or slack like a dress belt will.
Old August 18, 2009, 12:53 PM   #7
Yoosta B. Blue

Thanks a bunch for all the hints and ideas that have been offered. I've just about decided on a Supertuck Qwikdraw in horsehide... but, I'm still pondering the choice.

Yoosta B. Blue
Old August 20, 2009, 10:50 AM   #8
pingpingping

Google kholster. I love mine...very comfortable! $45 shipped to your door is hard to beat.