The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 22, 2008, 03:15 PM   #1
BigV

.25 ACP Breech Plug Conversion For In-line Muzzy

Anyone convert their in-line muzzy to use .25 ACP cases with small pistol primers??
I converted mine a year and a half ago and think it’s the best thing to come along for in-lines since the 209 primer.

Ever hear of “flyers”? Ever have that one shot that for some reason goes 3” high and 4” left? That’s a “flyer”.

Some believe these flyers were the result of the 209 primer actually lifting the sabot off the powder charge simultaneous with igniting the powder. The much milder Small Rifle primer of the .25 ACP case ignites the powder just as instantly but lacks the energy to move the sabot and bullet off the powder charge therefore eliminating the flyers.

I sent my TC Omega back to TC because of the inconsistent grouping I was getting. They recommended the .25 ACP breech Plug conversion and sent me one free of charge along with 10 .25 ACP cases and a primer tool.

I now shoot consistent 2” groups out to 100 yards and hold 6” groups or better at 200 and have not had a “flyer” since the conversion.

See It Here

Old October 23, 2008, 01:35 AM   #2
arcticap

I'm impressed that it works so well and that TC would send it to you.
I couldn't figure out why the industry ever adopted the 209 primer since it was never really perfected at the time. But now with the development of the new Blackhorn 209 powder, only 209 primers are recommended for igniting it, and even then there's problems firing it off with some nipple and beech plug designs because it will hang fire.
A duplex load might solve that.
Does the brass get dirty enough to require some cleaning?
I still prefer to shoot an early style inline that uses an 11 cap.
Old October 23, 2008, 07:00 AM   #3
BigV

Quote:
Does the brass get dirty enough to require some cleaning?

The brass does get somewhat dirty after firing, I threw mine in a tumbler just to make them all nice and shiny, but most have tarnished somewhat anyway.

The brass does not expand when fired so removal from the breech plug is very easy. There is no need to resize the brass either, as a result the brass can be used over and over again. Just pop out the old primer and put in a new one.

When I first got my Omega converted I went on a .25 ACP casing scrounging bin, I now have over 1,000 pieces of brass and 500 are primed and ready to go. I doubt if I will ever need any more .25 ACP brass…
Old October 23, 2008, 07:08 AM   #4
noelf2

That is very cool !
Old October 25, 2008, 06:17 PM   #5
buymore

I've been experiencing fliers in my Encore and I've been contemplating switching back to the plain old Maxi ball loads. I'm currently using Hornady XTP's in 240 gr .44 I'm thinking that I may just go back to the maxi-balls now! Sounds like a good reason for my fliers. Even in a benchrest I am getting at least one odd one out of five or so. It does help if I don't swab the barrel between shots, but I guess maybe the fouling is holding the sabot in place? I doubt that the primer will move a maxi ball!
Old October 25, 2008, 06:31 PM   #6
Hawg

A side lock is a heck of a lot less hassle.
Old October 25, 2008, 06:47 PM   #7
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Haggen
A side lock is a heck of a lot less hassle.
I Agree 100% there.