The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 28, 2019, 07:59 PM   #51
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2damnold4this View Post
What type of clothing do you wear, OhioGuy?
When I need to wear a deep concealment gun, it's because I'm in business casual or formal work attire, could be a tucked in polo or perhaps a dress shirt. Cool months are no issue, I can hide my PPS or heck my 15 round CZ P-07 under a suit jacket or sweater vest. It's mainly warmer months, or at least times when I don't have an outer cover garment. Cargo shorts or hiking pants have good deep pockets, my khakis or dress pants don't.
Old August 2, 2019, 07:56 PM   #52
Dave Chuppa

I have a 442 S&W with Hogue or Pachmayr grip in my pocket every day all day.
Old August 3, 2019, 05:07 AM   #53
Mike Irwin
Staff

I have a Smith & Wesson 042 Centennial hammerless that I've carried in my blue jeans and shorts pockets for years.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 7, 2019, 12:12 AM   #54
swissfist

One of my regular EDCs is the LCR in .38+p, shrouded hammer. Literally fits in my right front Jean's pocket, no snag, no print. It's an excellent choice for CCW, imho.
Old August 7, 2019, 06:18 AM   #55
ds-10-speed

Have you considered a NAA Mini? Here is a link for some carry options for the NAA Mini.
Old August 8, 2019, 09:50 AM   #56
rwagliardo

I have 3 of the NAA minis they are truly pocket pistols. For me the draw back is being single action. I have a Seecamp 380 that I pocket carry regularly.
Old August 8, 2019, 12:06 PM   #57
jumpingeezer

I carry a S&W 638 humpback in a Blackhawk size 4 pocket holster in my right front pocket. It is not noticeable when carried in jean pockets or in the pocket of the popular baggy cargo shorts. It draws rapidly without snagging and the tacky outer fabric of the holster always keeps it in place.

I don't know about carrying it in the pocket of dress pants as I am a retiree and only wear those things to weddings and funerals.
Old August 10, 2019, 05:52 PM   #58
WheelGunMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
I will guarantee that I can't get any of those S&Ws or the Colt in my pockets.
Carrying a 35 ounce revolver in your pocket is absurd-as is saying the .38 Spl is a "marginally effective" caliber.
I totally agree. I carry an LCR357 (17 oz) in a Desantis pocket holster or a Kydex IWB. I shoot it rather accurately also. I use only ARX 77 grain .38Spcl ammo in it. I have never felt undergunned.
Old August 13, 2019, 09:32 AM   #59
Flicks

I understand the idea behind carrying a small revolver that easier to conceal, but to be honest I'd still prefer a holster.
Old August 13, 2019, 02:17 PM   #60
FITASC

My 642 works better in my pocket than any semi. The revolver has rounded shapes - just like the human body. Semis are blocky and not shaped like any part of the human body.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 28, 2019, 02:31 PM   #61
fshfindr

Smith 642, 5 rds 38 cal, no hammer, 2 inch barrel sticky pocket holster works well for me. My wife checks me out, it can't be seen in normal pants or shorts, even jeans. No skinny pants for me.
Old August 28, 2019, 03:58 PM   #62
Don P

I pocket carry a S&W 649 J-Frame 27 oz. loaded. I were cargo pants or dickies in a holster from desantis
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 29, 2019, 10:15 AM   #63
Radny97

I similarly have to wear suit pants or khakis most of the time so pocket carry is my thing as well. And i like to carry revolvers. I’ve tried most of the snubbies out there except for the Taurus 380. I tried two different Ruger LCRs and couldn’t make them work. They were also surprisingly inaccurate when compared to single piece barreled snubbies. They have a great trigger and are the same on height and length with the Smiths, but they are bigger in every other aspect (all the other measurements, especially the trigger guard) and even with boot grips i just couldn’t pocket carry it comfortably in the types of pants i have to wear.

I eventually settled on the Smith 442 pro series (and swapped out the springs for a Wolff kit) or a Charter Arms undercover lite. Charter sells a separate “no hammer spur” hammer replacement for their revolvers for really cheap, so you can make any of their models hammerless. The Charter is lighter and smaller (especially when hammerless) but i like how the 442 pro series will accept moon clips so i get more reliable ejection if i have to reload (i carry a speed strip for the reload).

Your pocket holster selection is also a big deal. Many are bulky. I selected a kydex one that only does a couple things. It covers the trigger guard, it keeps the gun upright in the pocket for a quick draw, and it has a hook causing it to catch and snap off as part of the draw stroke. Makes for very rapid deployment. Check out Boraii holsters.

In terms of 380 pistols, i also have tried several 380s, 32s and 9mms for pocket carry. I had an LC9 but it was too big and not very accurate. 32s had reliability issues. I’m currently using a Ruger LCP2 in 380 which shoots way more comfortably than most, and has been reliable so far.

Good luck on your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 29, 2019, 06:00 PM   #64
Siggy-06

Look into the Taurus View revolver(it was a 85 with a very small grip and short barrel, with a clear side plate, later changed to an aluminum one). That'd be a great size for a pocket revolver, and in .38 special. They don't make them anymore, but you might be able to find them online.
Old August 31, 2019, 12:48 PM   #65
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Look into the Taurus View revolver(it was a 85 with a very small grip and short barrel, with a clear side plate, later changed to an aluminum one). That'd be a great size for a pocket revolver
Would have been great. Except they were so great they only made them for a year or two it that! Maybe if they would have just called them something else, and never put the see through plastic side plate on it.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 1, 2019, 03:32 PM   #66
elsancudo

My old Charter Arms .38 Special I owned a LONG time ago did. Pretty good little gun. Sadly, I sold it. Shoulda kept it.
Old September 2, 2019, 09:01 PM   #67
Hal

Amazing.......what's changed?

The late C.R.Sam (I'm jumping to the conclusion Sam passed on since he hasn't posted here since about 2004 & was in his late 80's at that time) - weighed all of 140/145 pounds & packed a 3" K frame in his front pant pocket.

He also packed a 4" and 5" (S&W M29/M28) in his jacket pocket.

Matter of fact, after spending the last hour looking back at Sam's posts to verify exactly what he packed and where, there's bunches of posts from the early days of TFL referring to "pocket carry" of all sorts of stuff.

Might not be a bad idea to rummage through some of them and find out how they all managed to do it.
Old September 28, 2019, 07:39 AM   #68
Catman42

thats a good gun kenny53, a really good gun.
Old September 29, 2019, 07:17 AM   #69
jar

When I pocket carry a revolver it is in an old Lou Alessi pocket holster and the holster and gun are the only things in that pocket. Three of my revolvers that do get carried fairly often are my Centennial Lemon Squeezer, modern 642 and my Charter Arms Undercover.

Old September 29, 2019, 02:10 PM   #70
wild cat mccane

You do have to test a revolvers actually as they are FAR more complicated than an auto.

I've shipped back 686s, GP100s, Taurus 66s. Binding. That also means I've owned those, so I don't dislike revolvers.

It's much worse than any auto failure because the gun can be done if you can't get the cylinder open and it won't rotate.

But to the OP question: no. Snubs in dress pants or normal fitted pants of a youth-middle aged man that doesn't buy big pants...just too big. They carry better than an auto in feel because the cylinder breaks up the shape, but the cylinder is so wide it's like a large cutie orange in your pocket. That's not realistic.

An LCP is way more comfortable.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; September 29, 2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old September 29, 2019, 05:03 PM   #71
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
You do have to test a revolvers actually as they are FAR more complicated than an auto.

I've shipped back 686s, GP100s, Taurus 66s. Binding. That also means I've owned those, so I don't dislike revolvers.

It's much worse than any auto failure because the gun can be done if you can't get the cylinder open and it won't rotate.

But to the OP question: no. Snubs in dress pants or normal fitted pants of a youth-middle aged man that doesn't buy big pants...just too big. They carry better than an auto in feel because the cylinder breaks up the shape, but the cylinder is so wide it's like a large cutie orange in your pocket. That's not realistic.

An LCP is way more comfortable.
I wear only cargo shorts in the Summer, cargo pants in the Winter (nothing else). My S&W Model 36 is undetectable my front-right standard seamed pocket in its Bianchi pocket holster. It rides so well that I am unaware that it is there. So, it would seem to be a matter of what kind of pants a person wears.
Old September 30, 2019, 09:24 AM   #72
Master Blaster

Gotta Love a thread where people are debating whether it is possible to do something I have been doing daily for 22 years...
Old September 30, 2019, 12:58 PM   #73
reteach

Quote:
debating whether it is possible to do something I have been doing daily for 22 years
Master Blaster - Exactly what I've been thinking. Thanks for coming up with the right sentence.
Old September 30, 2019, 09:30 PM   #74
wild cat mccane

How old are you and what's your profession.
Old October 1, 2019, 07:38 PM   #75
Sluggederbore

I used to have a 442 and it worked great as a pocket revolver. I plan to get another one some day.