The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 27, 2020, 12:06 PM   #1
ewmail15

M1 carbine clip with 10 rounds - how to load?

Hi. My dad gave me his two M1 carbines last year, plus loads of ammo (Rock-Ola 1.6m serial, Inland 1.7m). I have three 15 round magazines, two 30 round magazines, and maybe six or seven 10 round clips that extend from the narrow part of the clip. Tried to find any youtube loading videos for the 10 round clips, but came up totally empty. Saw plenty on the Springfield, the Enfield and the M1 Garand. What the heck? Any help would be much appreciated.

My dad also gave me two beautiful .303 Enfields, but didn't have much ammo at all for those, and he said they're very rare. Gotta become a member of the local Daniel Boone club and use their shooting range.

Always looking for anyone who might have Merrills from the Civil War and willing to share photos for my website - https:\\jameshmerrilltribute.smugmug.com.

Thanks, Eric in WI.
Old June 27, 2020, 12:43 PM   #2
10-96

I don't think I'm following exacerly what you're saying about the 10rnd clips. Are they long skinny clips that hold the rounds in a single straight line? If so, those are stripper clips, and what we called a speed loader spoon, loader spoon, or sometimes just a spoon was used to fit down on the edge of the clip (magazine) and the stripper clip was slid down into the skinny end of the spoon. Then, you just shoved the rounds down into the clip (magazine).

Also, are your Enfields sniper variants or non-issue trial/testing variants? I'm curious on those as I don't think I've ever heard of an Enfield being considered rare.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 27, 2020, 12:45 PM   #3
10-96

https://www.northridgeinc.com/product-p/sc-m1c-129.htm Are these the critters you have?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 27, 2020, 03:04 PM   #4
The Happy kaboomer

10-96

Me too.......Plus grips instead of stocks. Old gunners like me know the difference.....Those still in diapers don't.........
Old June 27, 2020, 08:37 PM   #5
ewmail15

Yes 10-96, that's the clip. By rare, I meant the ammo. I'll add some photos of the Enfields tomorrow.