The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Do you reload and do you think it's worth it?
I reload and it's worth it 139 86.88%
I reload and don't think it's worth it 3 1.88%
I don't reload but would like to in the future 14 8.75%
I don't reload and don't think it's worth it 1 0.63%
I used to reload but no longer do 3 1.88%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 3, 2010, 11:31 PM   #26
pichon

Quote:
What I meant was, I don't really care if it ever pays itself off. I enjoy using it.
I don't blame you. It is a sweet machine. I want an RCBS bullet feeder for mine. With a powder check, brass feeder and bullet feeder all you have to do is pull, push, pull, push. You can make ammo faster than you can shoot it.
Old January 3, 2010, 11:36 PM   #27
Tucker 1371

I don't but wish I did, just don't have:

1) The start up cost money

2) A complete handle on how it's done. I have a good idea but I would need an hour to a day's worth of practice.

3) A place to do it.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old January 4, 2010, 12:29 AM   #28
Pathfinder45

It's worth it to me....

.....but honestly, it's not for everyone. I don't think anyone can get proficient with a handgun if they don't shoot it very much. My caliber of choice is .45 Colt. Thanks to reloading, I can afford to shoot it enough to be competent. I also reload for .270 Winchester. I'm sure there will be others.....
Old January 4, 2010, 08:13 AM   #29
Bud Helms

Well, if everyone would answer the poll and not give us an inventory of their set up, along with why they thinks it's just peachy, this could stay right here.

But it's off topic for this forum, since we have a handloading forum.

Moving.
Old January 4, 2010, 09:36 AM   #30
landcruzr

yes I reload.
1).....I cant afford to shoot quality ammo- so I can reload even better ammo at less cost.
2).....I get to use the thinking part of my brain in load development.
3).....I enjoy the research and development part of finding the right round for each firearm.
4).....The MRS. enjoys having me in the house instead of out shopping for ammo, and thus eliminates the cost of marriage counceling
5).....I definately started shooting more when I started reloading- to justify to the MRS. the time and expense of making rounds-
Old January 4, 2010, 09:44 AM   #31
Tommy Vercetti

it isn't about saving money anymore, it's about making the best rounds.
Old January 4, 2010, 09:57 AM   #32
a7mmnut

Well, the only thing really negative I've ever held as a grudge against reloading is the initial several hundreds of dollars worth of inventory it takes to set up for multiple calibers, then randomly find all the components necessary to load up good ammo for each one. What you wind up with is a few good components for your sweet loads, and tres beaucoupe of everything else you don't need. This is where the infamous "networking" with your friends comes in, I suppose? -7-
Old January 4, 2010, 10:16 AM   #33
wncchester

"Do you reload and do you think it's worth it?"

Lessee...this is the reloading forum on a firearms site...
YEAH! To both questions. ???

Bet that's the most common response too!
Old January 4, 2010, 10:29 AM   #34
Dr. Strangelove

I voted yes, I reload, and it's worth it.

To the OP - after reading your post, I'd respectfully say you may want to look into another hobby.
Old January 4, 2010, 10:52 AM   #35
Bob1911

I have reloaded for over 32 years and cast my own bullets for that long also. I voted that it was worth it. I do not really reload for fun but for the satisfaction of it. I can reload a box of .38spl for about a dollar/50. This figure does not count brass or time. It also considers the fact that I am using powder and primers that I have had for awhile. (okay, a long while.) I reload when I am in the mood so the tediousness is not a factor. Reloading is a hobby that can save money and also has many varied reasons to participate in this hobby. If you can find or have a reason to reload and/or cast, do it, if not maybe you can get a friend of acquaintance to sell some reloads to you. NOTE: some will advise against using others reloads. Caveat Emptor.
John 3:16/Infidel
Grand Parent
Old January 4, 2010, 11:10 AM   #36
SL1

Bud (on the "staff")

I think you missed a thought when you moved this survey post to the "reloading" forum. The question was asked in a different forum to see how many THERE had decided to reload. Moving it to the reloaders forum biases the sample of responders to include almost exclusviely those who have decided to handload and exlcudes most of those who have decided not to bother. That is sort of like asking people in a movie theater if they like to go to the movies. The answers from the people who are there are likely to be nearly 100% positive, even if they represent only a small fraction of the total population outside the theater.

SL1
Old January 4, 2010, 11:31 AM   #37
vranasaurus

A quick estimate yields around $1500 worth of reloading equipment in my house.

I don't think I have quite saved enough to pay it off but I will eventually.

A cheap box of 50 9mm 115 gr FMJ rounds costs $10-12. I can reload that for about $6 excluding the cost of brass.

A cheap box of of 50 45 ACP 230 gr FMJ rounds costs about $20. I can reload that for about $8 excluding the cost of brass.

A cheap box of 50 44 Mag 240 SJHP costs $30-40. I can reload that for about $15 excluding the cost of brass.

A box of 50 match grade .223 77 gr Sierra HPBT from black hills costs $45. I can reload 77 gr Sierra HPBT with Varget using remington 7.5 primers for about $15/50 without the cost of brass factored in. If I factor the cost of once fired brass it costs $19. If you factor in say brand new winchester brass It costs $25.

A box of cheap of 20 .223 55 gr FMJ costs $9-10. I can reload that for about $2.50.

If I take a 100 rounds of 45 ACP and 9mm to the range each time I go I save about $32. 12 trips to the range per year that is $384 per year in savings.

If I shoot 250 rounds of .223 55 gr FMJ per year I save $85 per year.

Every highpower match I shoot I save $36. 7 matches per year I save $250.

That is roughly a $719 per year savings.

The only argument against reloading saving money is that if you factor in the cost of your time it isn't worth it.
Old January 4, 2010, 11:36 AM   #38
A_Gamehog

Question for you back?

When the stores are out of ammo, for months on end, where do you get yours to go hunting?

That's what I thought you said, from a "Reloader buddy" ha!
Old January 4, 2010, 11:48 AM   #39
QBall45

Yes! Its worth it if you like to shoot.

I like to shoot. If I was not loading my own I would not be able to afford to shoot as much as I like to. This last week my brother was home so we hit the range twice. We shot up 1' 45acp, 400 38's, & ab out 400 22lr. We would not have able to do that if I did not reload. Might not have been able to find that much 45.

Reloading truely becomes cost effective if you shoot lead. And even cheaper if you cast your own bullets. Using my own hard cast lead, my 45's cost me right around $50/k. Now that primers are at $34.99 my cost per roiund will go up. However its still way cheaper than buying factory loads.

I explained the cost of equipment to my wife this way... Equipment is a capitol investment...stuff that's used over & over again. The true cost of reloading is whatever your expendable items cost (powder, primers, projectials). Overlook your initial investment and look at your componet cost. Figure your cost that way. Loading your own will pay for the equipment nornally in about a thousand or so rounds.
Old January 4, 2010, 12:15 PM   #40
CraigC

It's worth it to me but doesn't sound like it's worth it to you. I like to shoot and reloading allows me to do a hell of a lot more shooting than I would be able to if I was buying factory ammo.
Old January 4, 2010, 12:45 PM   #41
pichon

I have a budget for "a days worth of shooting". That budget used to limit me to 100 rounds of 45 and a box of 22lr. That was gone in an hour and a half. Now because I reload I have more than doubled how many rounds of 45 I take with me and I can bring my rifle which was too expensive to shoot before also.
Old January 4, 2010, 01:11 PM   #42
BigJimP

I voted Yes, its worth it .... I've reloaded for close to 45 years...my grandfather taught me to load metallic and shotshells when I was a kid.

These days I shoot a lot of handgun ammo ( 6 - 8 boxes a week usually ) in a variety of calibers, so my Dillon 650 paid for itself easily inside of 1 year.

But I would reload even if it wasn't cheaper - customize my shells, etc..
Old January 4, 2010, 01:15 PM   #43
wingman

I've reloaded over 40 years accumulating tools and parts, I see reloading as a big part of the shooting sport, I have more faith in my reloads then factory ammo, I know it's more accurate. I find reloading relaxing not a chore at all.

Cost savings in our 'global economy" is debatable new equipment is so high that a hunter or the few rounds per year guy it may not pay off but again if you require accuracy reloading is the answer, start small and purchase as you learn.

In all honestly if I could only use commercial ammo I would do very little shooting.
Old January 4, 2010, 01:43 PM   #44
rdmallory

Providing you don't consider the time involved it is worth it.

Material wise you can save some money. Now if you consider your time over $5 an hour best you will be able to do is break even.

I enjoy it almost as much as shooting them.

Doug
Old January 4, 2010, 02:00 PM   #45
jtc2162

I do .40 and my brother does .223 on my press.

Cheapest wally world .40 ammo: $16/50 after tax

My own .40 loads: $5.75/50 including tax and shipping on all components

Not shopping at walmart: Priceless!

All kidding aside you can yield savings with volume when it comes to reloading. Of course, you'll probably never save anything, you'll just shoot twice as much.

Some people don't reload for the savings, but instead for the control it gives them to produce a load / round not available in the market.
Old January 4, 2010, 02:22 PM   #46
spacecoast

For pistol ammo like .38, .357, .45, .380 and 9mm, it only takes about a thousand rounds to recover the cost of basic equipment compared to buying commercial ammo. Maybe 2000 rounds if you start with a nice setup like a turret press. 9mm is the worst savings $-wise, but you can still save 50% off retail. When your time is factored in, it's probably not worth it overall, but it's an enjoyable hobby with many side benefits (custom loads, not having to search for ammo, etc.)
Old January 4, 2010, 02:41 PM   #47
thomaswm@coxnet

Reloading-What is a good machine?

I have been shooting for many years and have always been curious about reloading equipment. There are quite a few different models and brands out there. What is everyones experience with the different brands? I am looking to reload:
45 acp; 45 colt; 38spec; 357mag; 454 casull; 460 mag
I would like input on a machine that is reliable, good warranty and easy to use. All suggestions welcome.
Thank you

Clarification I guess I shoot more 45acp than anything so that would be the main ammo I would want to reload.

Last edited by thomaswm@coxnet; January 4, 2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old January 4, 2010, 02:43 PM   #48
CraigC

Quote:
Providing you don't consider the time involved it is worth it.
That depends on what you're shooting and how much. If you're shooting 9mm ball, you're probably right. If you're shooting .44Spl, .44Mag and .45Colt, you're saving a truckload. Unlike many reloaders, I DO value my time....highly. It takes me an hour to produce 100rds of ammunition for the above chamberings (except .44Mag on my Dillon 650). In that hour I produce about $70 worth of ammunition for about $14, or less. Now, believe it or not I make more than that when I'm working but I'd sure as hell rather spend an hour loading ammo than an hour at work. Then spend that money I saved on something else, like more guns.
Old January 4, 2010, 03:08 PM   #49
OldJim

Some of the Weatherby calibers I use would cost $75/box if storebought, where I can reload them for less than $20, so figure.

Jim
Old January 4, 2010, 04:01 PM   #50
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. Try this "Cartridge Cost Calculator". It will help define the $ value of reloading.
If you could improve your chances of hitting your target, having a clean kill, or not having to follow a blood trail, would this have any value? It does for me and that is hard to put a $ value on.