The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 11, 2009, 10:20 PM   #26
Jim243

Farmland has the answer closest to my thinking, not all bullets are the same from one manufacturer to the next. Since pressure should be your major concern when reloading, the OAL of each bullet will make a substanual difference in how your load works and accuracy. I vote for the manual from the manufacturer of the bullet you will be using. These loads have already been tested for that bullet.
Old August 11, 2009, 10:36 PM   #27
SIGSHR

I have found reloading manuals are like cookbooks-there's about 80-90% overlap, it's the 10-20% difference that is interesting. My first reloading manual was the Lyman (I started reloading in 1975), because they were not a bullet manufacturer but did make bullet molds they had much more information on reloading lead bullets. The edition I had (still have) had a plastic ring binding, that made it easy to flat while working-an important consideration IMHO. I have always liked the Speer manuals, liked their style, the background they gave on the various cartridges, their explanations of why your recorded velocities may differ widely from theirs, etc.
My suggestion is look the various manuals over, if you like the style, the layout, if the information is presented clearly and is up to date, the calibers you want are listed, as are the powders you wish to use, the instructions easy to follow
and when opinions are stated they are labeled as such and not presented as Gospel truth then it's worth getting. The one put out by the various manufacturers emphasize their products, not suprisingly, an "independent"
one might have a broader selection of bullets, etc.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:45 PM   #28
Mose Jefferson

I am a reloading neophyte, so I don't know how useful my opinion is, but just read "The ABC's" from cover to cover, and for me it was worth every penny. Kind of off-topic, though, since it doesn't have load data. Sorry.
On the plus side, though, now I also get the benefit of this excellent thread. Thanks, Pete!
Old August 12, 2009, 01:15 AM   #29
Kyo

hey pete I get my copy of modern reloading tomorrow. ill post up a review at night since thats when I will get home.
Old August 12, 2009, 10:48 AM   #30
A_Gamehog

"I will be using a Lee Classic turret press"

You can get the Lee Data book for 13.00$ That would be a good place to start. Lots of different powders for each bullet weight. It has data pertaining to your Lee setup.
Old August 12, 2009, 11:01 AM   #31
hamr56

Use the Nosler manual as I shoot nosler bullets. Glad to see you got the ABC's it is a good manual for starters.
Old October 14, 2010, 05:43 PM   #32
maestro pistolero

Late coming to the party

Forgive the necropost, but I found this thread very helpful.
Quote:
peetzakiller: Alrighty, well, I just ordered The 8th Edition of The ABCs of Reloading and the Lyman 49th Edition.
I came to the same conclusion, ordered both books and then saw your post, peetzakiller!

My first (and lofty) goal is to get set up with a single stage rig for loading match .308/7.62 NATO. At this point, I don't care how long it takes to load a single round, as long as it's accurate and doesn't blow me or my gun up, and as long as I can learn the process properly.

I am loading for an AR10T, so I think the gun is definitely worthy of good ammo.