The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 4, 2020, 07:02 AM   #1
ghbucky

Recommendations for bullet puller?

So, I have a few .223 I need to disassemble.

I got out my kinetic puller, and no matter how enthusiastically I apply it, these rounds are unimpressed.

While therapeutic, I do really need to reclaim the bullets and brass.

Recommendations?
Old July 4, 2020, 07:10 AM   #2
hounddawg

two options RCBS and Hornady collet style. Both work, which ever is on sale would be my recommendation
Old July 4, 2020, 07:26 AM   #3
ghbucky

RCBS collet and puller ordered. Thanks.
Old July 4, 2020, 07:26 AM   #4
Mr.RevolverGuy

I had both actually gave the rcbs away kept the Hornady. Both worked equal but the I preferred the Hornady lever over the twist of the rcbs.
Old July 4, 2020, 07:50 AM   #5
bedlamite

I wonder if it's your technique with the kinetic puller. I've seen too many people use it like a hammer driving a nail, and that won't do it. You need to hold it loosely with only a couple fingers and let it bounce off the concrete. It's the bounce that does it.

If I only have a few to pull, I use the kinetic puller, if I have a lot to pull, I set up the RCBS collet puller
Old July 4, 2020, 08:15 AM   #6
ghbucky

Quote:
I wonder if it's your technique with the kinetic puller.
I'm a frickin expert with it..... and that's all I say about it.
Old July 4, 2020, 09:02 AM   #7
BJung

Suggestions from a Reloader

I had a few hundred bullets to pull recently because the ammo was exposed to too much heat in a house fire. The kinetic puller rarely worked on the 40cal bullets. It was suggested that I use my dies to press the bullet into the case just to break the weld that was creating. However, the suggesting came too late and I had already cut the cases near the base of the bullet and split the cases so and retrieved 2/3rd of the bullets.

Beware, if you use pliers, you could damage the threads on your press. I did this on the 40cal ammo and had to replace the part. You have a collet puller so you shouldn't have to do this. My press attached puller is different and acts like a Chinese finger trap.

As a suggestion, if you're not retrieving the powder, maybe WD40 will work. But don't use it otherwise because it'll kill your primer and might effect your powder.
Old July 4, 2020, 10:11 AM   #8
jetinteriorguy

I’ve pulled thousands of bullets with the Hornady collet puller. Works great. Just set it to hold enough but don’t over tighten the collet. Over tightening the collet just puts undue stress on the pivot pin and premature wear. Also don’t forget to lube the pin regularly, makes operating the tool much easier and prolongs service life. This is something you develop a feel for as you use it.
Old July 4, 2020, 02:38 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Small, light bullets are the most difficult to pull with an inertia puller, as they have the least inertia. An "expert" with the inertia puller can do it.

If the .223 is GI stuff then seating the bullets slightly deeper to break the seal is often needed.

I went years with the RCBS collet puller, with often less than satisfactory results. Many times it was impossible to hand tighten the collet enough, and it would slip off. And, of course, forget about pulling lead bullets in any condition other than scrap for the lead pot.

I retired the collet puller when I got a Lyman "orange hammer". I have pulled .223 and .22-250 with it, as well a many larger bullets.

The trick, for those who aren't experts, is not how hard you swing it. The trick is the sudden stop. Many surfaces that are very hard to our bodies are "sub-optimal" for the hammer puller. Concrete is common, and seems very hard, but there is enough "give" to it when the hammer strikes to actually cushion the blow to a degree.

What I have found works best is the hard cast iron top of my wood stove. (COLD STOVE, of course). A few quick "snaps" is usually all it takes, though the .22s might need 5 or six.

Up to you, but the hammer works BETTER, for me, than the collet. Plus, the hammer also pulls lead bullets, undamaged!!
Old July 4, 2020, 02:52 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

I use a piece of boiler plate. Steel works better than concrete because it is slightly elastic and rebounds hard against the head, giving it a very rapid shove back in the other direction that assists in the bullet pulling.

That said, I use the inertial puller primarily for small numbers of rounds. When I had over a thousand surplus rounds with powder rapidly deteriorating, I got the RCBS, quickly tired of all the effort that went into tightening the handle and got the Hornady. The Hornady is easy on you hand and quick. I could pull several in the time it took to pull one with the RCBS unit.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 4, 2020, 04:02 PM   #11
ghbucky

Quote:
An "expert" with the inertia puller can do it.
Touche! LOL!
Old July 4, 2020, 06:12 PM   #12
jpx2rk

I wonder how one becomes an "expert" in the field of inertia bullet pulling?????
Old July 4, 2020, 06:21 PM   #13
ghbucky

Practice.
Old July 4, 2020, 06:22 PM   #14
jmr40

I finally gave up on the inertia pullers and bought a Hornady collet puller. I don't use them often, but wish I'd bought one a long time ago.

The RCBS may be just as good or better. I can't say, but it has to be better than the inertia pullers.

Winston Churchill