The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 28, 2020, 12:23 PM   #26
Sevens

I agree that there are still uses for this type of holster! I use a pretty mundane and low-cost nylon flap holster once a year for a three-days-of-hunting trip out west where I hunt prairie dogs. The main event is my bolt action rifle on dogs at distance, but I keep a handgun at my side for snakes and for the lucky (and patient!) chance at a prairie dog that might choose to show himself within 30 yards. I did NOT get one this year (ARRRGH!) but I got one in each of the last two years.

To make these hits, I need something that gives me confidence in precision -- I use a very late production Smith & Wesson Model 52-2 with swaged lead hollow base wadcutters.

And the flap holster keeps the very sharp-edged rear target sight from giving me, my clothes, the seat in the car and the chair I use for rifle shooting from getting torn up.

When I'm hiking or walking/scouting, the flap is tucked inside and the pistol is accessible. When I'm behind the rifle or in the car, the flap it deployed to protect the pistol, but more so to keep the rear sight from tearing things up.
Old June 28, 2020, 12:28 PM   #27
Sevens

Quote:
If you ask how much $$$, you can't afford one
Gotta laugh at the snooty, upper-crust nature of this over-used old sneer. All the while the world sees a Ruger revolver stuffed in to this all too expensive 'that nobody could possibly afford' holster. It's not a Korth sitting in there and I'll guess it isn't one of the guns that Elmer Keith used to take down game at 600 yards.
Old June 28, 2020, 01:17 PM   #28
dahermit

full flap holster

I have made a few full-flap holsters. However, most went with the guns they were fit to (and made for), when I sold those guns. All the photos I had of my holsters (and guns) were "lost" to Photo Bucket.

I do have one of my home-made holsters still left though. This one is for my S&W .32 S&W long revolver. The revolver is an old one...an "I" frame if I remember my S&W's correctly...pre-"j" frame (with a flat mainspring, not coiled like a "j" frame.

I made the belt loop into a two-way job. I can thread a belt though the loop or just use the clip to hang the holster on the top pocket of my bib on my bib overalls when I sit in chair in my woods "menacing" any creature that may venture by.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flapthree.jpg (231.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg flaptwo.jpg (154.0 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by dahermit; June 28, 2020 at 01:26 PM.
Old June 28, 2020, 01:37 PM   #29
recoil junky

Sevens, go to any good saddle maker and ask him/her how much to make a holster like those pictured, you'll be more humble next time.

Oh, not to be "snooty", but I have a S&W 21 that was Elmer's. Charlie O'Neill was in the process of rebuilding it before his untimely death.

RJ
Old June 28, 2020, 03:13 PM   #30
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoil junky View Post
Sevens, go to any good saddle maker and ask him/her how much to make a holster like those pictured, you'll be more humble next time.

Oh, not to be "snooty", but I have a S&W 21 that was Elmer's. Charlie O'Neill was in the process of rebuilding it before his untimely death.

RJ
Are saddle makers the same as holster makers? I'm ask'en for a friend.
Old June 28, 2020, 05:21 PM   #31
recoil junky

Well, I do make holsters but I know a couple saddle makers that do make holsters and they are pretty proud of their holsters and "other work" in general.

So, tell your friend that in my opinion, no they may or may not be.

Or should that be yes . . . .

RJ

Last edited by recoil junky; June 29, 2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old June 28, 2020, 06:44 PM   #32
Pahoo

JMHO

Quote:
Are saddle makers the same as holster makers? I'm ask'en for a friend.
Not really as all Saddle-Makers are capable of making a holster but the reverse is not realistic. .……

I partially learned some techniques from a Boot-maker/Saddle-maker and he was a real artist ……

Be Safe !!!
Old June 29, 2020, 04:37 AM   #33
DaleA

FWIW Midway has a sale on M12 full flap holsters for Beretta 92 and 96 (so I imagine Taurus 92 and 99 would work too). About $17.50 for their grade 2 or $25 for their grade 1.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1918357627