The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2010, 02:14 AM   #1
Ignition Override

First reload gear: Lee, but neck-size does not work.

Only reloaded some of the steps on different gear at a friend/s once, and did not assemble his gear. Mine is the Lee Anniv. Kit.
Have never watched any gear assembled. Nunca, gar nichts, niemals.

For my LEs, am well-aware that neck-sizing is all that is needed.

Got the shell holder in place and punched out about 15 primers, with the "Lee collett neck-sizing die".

But no matter how much the bottom edge of the die protrudes below the top of the press, the only contact with the shell seems to be the pin into the primers, which requires a little force but the shell rims always stop about a mm or two from full contact, no matter howe much the die extends.
Holding any given .311 (150 grain) bullet, it will simply slide into the once-fired Prvi .303 case with almost no friction.

There is no adjustment which allows the press to size the case neck. Between attempts, I looked into the die's interior and the four 'fingers' are in place. When the die is removed from the press, I slowly pushed a case into the fingers, which allow it to just barely fit in, but with no solid friction or sizing. This is plainly seen. The end of the neck stops even with the tops of the 'fingers'.

Will take this gear to Bass Pro (although Not bought there) or real gun shop, and maybe somebody can tell whether there is some magic setting needed.
Could those four tapered 'fingers' have been manufactured for a large caliber case? Glad that I have over 2,500 rds. of surplus .303 as reserve for the Prvi. Feeling like a Dummkopf, which happens very often (not just by a computer).

Last edited by Ignition Override; January 6, 2010 at 02:30 AM.
Old January 6, 2010, 02:52 AM   #2
Randy 1911

Look at the case the dies came in. There should be some kind of instructions. I have never used this kind of die, but it shouldn't be that hard to setup.
Old January 6, 2010, 06:23 AM   #3
micksis86

Try undoing the bolt at the top and backing out the decapper pin a bit. I had problems with mine doing something similiar to what you're talking about and I did that and now they go all the way into the die and are sized correspondingly. Hopefully that will work.
Old January 6, 2010, 07:04 AM   #4
gearheadpyro

To set the Lee Collet Die you raise the ram to full height, screw the die in until the collet part touches the shellholder, then screw the die in a full two more turns. Provided the die was made for your caliber that is all you should need.

If you are used to using other dies where you just raise the ram to a stop then lower and move on it is a little bit different with this die. When you feel the primer pop out and the ram stop you need to put a good firm shove on the handle. You will feel the neck squeeze down then stop. Only after you feel that will the case be resized.

It's a little tricky to get it figured out, but it works well once you do.

You might also try taking the cap off of the die and putting just a tiny amount of grease on top of the collet fingers. That helped smooth things up in my die.
Old January 6, 2010, 04:47 PM   #5
5R milspec

useing the collet die

+1 for Gearheadpro.and you can even go one more step by polishing the two mateing parts the collel fingures and collet compressure.this will help the two parts from sticking together.along with a little grease between the two.and what you want to feel is a 25 foot lb when you raise the case up into the die.like he said you will get the hang of it after you load some with the die.

I think the collet die makes good ammo.this is all that I use for all of my loading till I need to FL the case so it will chamber without haveing to use a little pressure.
Old January 7, 2010, 07:07 PM   #6
wncchester

"Lee, but neck-size does not work."

Like the fat lady said, "You ain't doing it right!"
Old January 7, 2010, 07:23 PM   #7
furtaker

I pulled mine all apart chucked the collet and the cup in the drill press and polished both of them starting with 600 grit paper and finished with 800 grit crocus cloth they work great now, I have two sets I have done this to. Dont get carried away!!! I also posished the inside of the seater cup because the green bullets (Barnes) kept sticking and causing O.A.L problems, havent had any trouble sence.