The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2010, 08:41 AM   #1
bhw4235

Speer bullets ?

I went to a cabelas store yesterday and was looking for some speer .22 50gr tnt bullets, they did'nt have any speer bullets period. They had vary little speer loaded ammo also. I asked a couple of employee's if they stopped carrying speer ammo and they told me that everyone has quit carrying speer bullets. I asked him if they had went out of busness and he did'nt know, he said he did'nt know what the problem was. I also tried to get some from a friend of mine that deals with ellett brothers and they did'nt have any eather. Anybody know for sure what the problem is? Besides just normal shortages.
Old January 6, 2010, 02:49 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

Speer is alive and well.

You don't see much loaded ammo from them (they have never done much, anyway), since their "loaded" ammo is branded as Federal. -Both companies are part of ATK.-

The salesman is uninformed, and ignorant. Cabelas doesn't carry much of anything from Speer, and I have NEVER seen Speer reloading components in their catalog or stores. The company chooses to sell other brands; so your salesman chooses to make sh** up, in explaining it.

Go somewhere else, if you're looking for Speer bullets.
If you want ammo loaded with Speer bullets; look through the Federal ammo lines: Fusion, Power-Shock, Standard (unnamed), Premium, and Vital-Shock.
Old January 6, 2010, 03:04 PM   #3
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Cabela's stopped carrying Speer bullets 7 or 8 years ago . I shoot a lot of speer bullets . Now I get them from Midway .
Old January 7, 2010, 12:32 AM   #4
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Speer and CCI are located about 40 miles from where this is being typed, and from everything I have heard, they like the other manufactures have been pushing to get as much out the door as possible.

During the good Ol'Days, I used to be able to buy Speer seconds or rejects at a gun shop called Lolo's in Lewiston, Idaho.

Sad to say, because of changes in owners etc. the reject supply dried up a few years back, a blow to the owners of Lolo's and many shooters in the area.

I have shot many of the rejects over the years, and still have a small stash of some sizes.

Have used reject Speer Grand Slams in the wife's 270 for years. She doesn't shoot a lot, so probably those on hand will out last our hunting days.

It is really sad to see the ownership and control of these companies leave the area as there were real advantages to local ownership.

Bitterroot bullets were also made in Lewiston, by Bill Stigers.

Bills wife was a photographer, so I had some contact with him through his wife and at the occasional photographers do'ins he'd attend.

I think Mary was just making him to good of a living, as for the entire time I knew him, Bill was in the process of "re-tooling."

I even heard of Bill going to a gun show and buying some of his own production off a table because he wasn't making any new ones.

His production - a real hands on effort, unlike Speer's, was limited even when he wasn't "retooling."

Hate to see these people and companies fade from what they once were, as change isn't always for the better.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot