The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 26, 2009, 03:48 PM   #76
JFN

The Pro Auto Disk has a teflon coating on the parts so they operate smoother, and it's supposed to help prevent powder cutting.

The Pro also allows you to stack two disks. With a single disk setup you choose the opening that provides the closest charge to what you need, though it may not be exact. With two disks you can stack them and make finer adjustments by picking the right combination of openings that total up to provide the correct volume.

You still need to measure and check frequently as you are working. The drops can change as powder level in the hopper decreases, bumping the press can settle powder in the hopper or disks causing a change in volume, etc. Note that powder charges are in weight (grains), but measures work on volume (cc), so you need to keep an eye on things.
Old April 26, 2009, 08:48 PM   #77
B737drvr

Thanks for the info JFN and pics Rusty. I (like most new guys here on the forum) are having hard times finding primers, so I have backordered some and am going to wait until they arrive to get the press. It would just be murder having a brand new press sitting down in the shop and never be able to get any reloading supplies!
Old April 27, 2009, 04:06 AM   #78
RickV

You may want to order your press now as it may not be availaable once you get your reloading materials.
Old April 27, 2009, 05:33 AM   #79
bro2

My Hornady LNL arrives today. I gotta work, so this afternoon I will get started setting it up.
Old April 27, 2009, 06:21 AM   #80
B737drvr

Quote:
You may want to order your press now as it may not be availaable once you get your reloading materials.
Yeah, that would pretty much be the story of my life...always a day late and a dollar short!
Old April 27, 2009, 11:27 AM   #81
Dan The Sig Man

Well if you order a Lee Turret Press Kit from www.factorysales.com it will take about 2-3 weeks for the Delivery. I ordered mine back on march 31st. I recieved it on April 22nd. It is just because of the High demand. I am actually still waiting on my 9mm 4 Die Set. I got my .40 Cal set, but the 9mm's are on backorder. That is just because Lee is so popular they are backordered. Factory Sales are great people to work with and if you order from them make sure you order the Modern Reloading Second Edition book. they have it for like $13 or $14 and if you order it from Lee it is like $35. I ordered it from Factory Sales. It is a great book. I am about 5 chapters in and I know a WHOLE lot more than I ever did about reloading. Oh and the Turret Press Kit IS VERY NICE... I am finishing setup today (I had to modify my work bench) but I should have i setup today sometime.
Old April 27, 2009, 11:45 AM   #82
B737drvr

I was planning on ordering that Modern Reloading book when I order. I am just spooked about never being able to get supplies as some guys have alluded to on other posts. I guess worse case scenerio is that I will have a brand new press and have to end up selling it to a guy with a lifetime's supply of brass, primers, and powder!
I am sure you can't wait to get things going Dan...that is exciting that you are just about there. Post a picture when you get your workbench all set up! The primers I have on order should arrive sometime in JUNE OR JULY! uggh!
Old April 27, 2009, 12:26 PM   #83
Dan The Sig Man

Be patient... You will not have to sell your Press or any other Tools. This shortage is already starting to turn for the better. I just found 1,000 SPP the other day at a local shop here in Fresno, so just be patient. I am right now having a little trouble finding .40 cal bullets for a good price, but they are out there. What supplies are you short on just Primers? If you have to wait tell June to get them, than get EVERYTHING else needed. Get a couple thousand cases ready to go, get a couple thousand bullets in the calibers you need, get a couple 2-4 pounds of powder. You can find the stuff you need trust me. Do you have Local stores in your area? If not one coming Saturday take a 3-4 hour drive to where ever the most stores are, and just hunt, If you come up empty... Well it was a good day away from home. If you get lucky and get 4 pounds of Powder and no Primers... Well now you have your powder. Maybe you can start talking to a few guys here on the Forum and maybe you can talk them into selling you 2-3 hundred primers. SOME GUYS on here will be willing to make a deal with you.

You never know, but the main thing that I have learned from a couple guys on here is Patients. I was all Boo Hoo about me not being able to get Primers, and PCJIM pmed me and told me to be patient and keep looking around Local, and one day Boom, I got lucky and found a thousand primers. Everyday if you can go to your local reloading supplier and check with them. If they start getting pissy, tell them that you are determined to get a hold of some primers and they will just have to get used to seeing you everyday. If they value your business, they will just deal with it, or they will take you name and number and call you as soon as they get some so you stop bothering them.

I know it is tough to just sit around and wait, TRUST me I did it, but now I am happy that I was able to change my attitude and be patient. It IS going to pay off in the END I can contest to that. Dan
Old April 27, 2009, 02:05 PM   #84
B737drvr

I have gotten or am able to get everything else but primers. I just didn't want to order a fancy press and dies and three months later still not have any primers. I will be patient here for a while. I live in Atlanta metro, and there's lots of gun shops around, but lots of competition for what few primers are available...like I said, I've got some primers ordered and I'll keep my eyes open around here. I hope you are right that things will eventually improve for the reloader. However, every day or every other day we hear about some wacko from our liberal news media who has used a firearm to shoot innocent people or just today the big news here in Georgia is that some professor shot his ex and her boyfriends...it's only a matter of time before the big O and his worthless attorney general Holder take the cues from the Communist News Network and do some thing radical. This will be a bad day for us reloaders and 2nd ammendment rights types in general...
Old April 28, 2009, 04:01 PM   #85
Dan The Sig Man

Well I said that I would post pictures as soon as I got my Turret Press mounted and setup. The pictures below show exactly how I had to mount it. Everything works perfect, now all I am doing is waiting for my FMJ's to get here and I will be loading .40 Cal rounds by the weekend I hope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bench4.jpg (147.3 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg Bench5.jpg (121.8 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg Bench6.jpg (141.2 KB, 227 views)
Old April 28, 2009, 04:02 PM   #86
Dan The Sig Man

Could only upload 3 at a Time... Here is the last one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bench7.jpg (142.9 KB, 231 views)
Old April 28, 2009, 04:15 PM   #87
B737drvr

Woohoo! Looks like you are ready to rock and roll, or - lock and load, or whatever...I'm jealous! Keep us posted on the progress!
Old April 28, 2009, 04:25 PM   #88
Dan The Sig Man

Oh and YES that is a FULL unused box of Small Pistol Primers. It is like having a box of Gold sitting there just stareing at you in the face wanting to be used. lol well hopefully this weekend.
Old April 28, 2009, 08:27 PM   #89
CrustyFN

Quote:
Oh and YES that is a FULL unused box of Small Pistol Primers. It is like having a box of Gold sitting there just stareing at you in the face wanting to be used.
Kind of makes you not want to use them doesn't it. Good job on the bench. I like the idea you had the way you cantilevered the 2X out for the press to mount on. I'm curious to see if you get any flexing.

Rusty
Old April 28, 2009, 09:15 PM   #90
B737drvr

Yeah, I noticed that too..thanks for rubbing it in!
Old April 28, 2009, 09:20 PM   #91
Dan The Sig Man

No there is NO flexing what so ever. Reason being is... I set it tight to the Underside of the top. Than I used 4 - 1/4" Bolts through the Bench Top and the 2x to make it tight fit. I made the hole for the 2x as tight as possible and had to beat the 2x into place. So it is really tight and there is not Flex, if there is ANY movement, it moves the ENTIRE bench, so it is VERY sturdy.

Yeah I really do hate to use those nice New SP Primers, but I am also very eager to get myself some reloads ready... So I am waiting for my .40 cal. and 9mm FMJ's that I ordered today.
Old May 18, 2009, 07:28 AM   #92
jh6717

Progressive vs. Single Stage for beginners

I'm a little late getting into this thread here, but I'm inclined to agree with Dave Wile that you're better off starting on a single state or turret press since eventually you'll end up needing one anyway.

That said, I started out as a newbie loading handgun ammo on a Dillon 550B. Why? Because Dillon units were all the talk at the time, and I live in the Phoenix area. So I went into the Dillon store and talked to the sales people, got a few brief tutorials, and left with a new 550B with all of the stuff I needed to get started.

It took me about 2 weeks of reading the Lyman and Speer manuals and checking the directions for assembling and operating the Dillon 550B over and over until I was brave enough to start reloading. I made a few minor mistakes here and there, but nothing that I hadn't worked out after a few reloading sessions. If you read for awhile before beginning reloading and proceed with caution you can probably start on a progressive press with few problems.

However, a progressive reloader will NOT be sufficient for all of your reloading needs, especially if you intend to load rifle ammo. If you have any plans to reload for rifle calibers you're going to need a single stage or turret press eventually.

I'd only recommend that newbies or veteran reloaders get one of the Dillons if they intend to do one of the following:

1. Participate in some type of competitive pistol shooting which requires them to shoot more than 200 rds. per week....

2. Participate in Cowboy Action Shooting and shoot through a hundred lbs. of cast lead bullets every month....

3. Shoot massive quantities of handgun ammunition recreationally...... and shoot over 200 rds. per week.....(Myself, I have neither the time, nor the money, and there aren't enough powders or primers available out there right now anyhow).

Last edited by jh6717; May 18, 2009 at 01:45 PM.