The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 24, 2019, 01:24 PM   #1
Jdwin1

Which .308 bullpup

Hello,

So my question is thus, which 308 bullpup rifle would you guys get?
I happen to have some disposable income, and i would like to get a semi auto 308 bullpup rifle. I would use it for hunting plinking and the occasional longer range shot. So accuracy doesn't have to be .25 moa or any thing crazy. But having something reliable would be nice.

The options I'm aware of:

K&M m17 308 (I'm interested in this one specifically)

kel tec RFB (Been around for a while)

Desert Tech MDR (apparently a v2 just came out.)

And IWI tavor 7 (not out yet but might be good?)

Of these which do you think is the best? Did i miss any?I have converted an ak to a bullpup (using the CRBS kit) and i love it. So Im relatively committed to this idea.
Or do am i Crazy and should just build an ar10? (again im already somewhat committed)

Thanks

Last edited by Jdwin1; February 24, 2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old February 26, 2019, 09:37 AM   #2
Skans

"Of these which do you think is the best?"

I went through this same analysis process about a year ago. I decided on the K&M .308 bullpup - 16" barrel. I actually just received it a couple of months ago and have not yet had the opportunity to really test it out. However, let me tell you what I really like about this rifle, more so than all of the others:

1. Full metal construction - billet lower receiver and extruded high quality aluminum upper.
2. Very compact and well balanced.
3. Trigger - Geisel adjustable trigger is very nice. You won't believe how nice the trigger is.
4. Gas adjustable - I believe most of the bullpups are.
5. Many of the small parts are available and used in other platforms - so if the company goes out of business, small parts will be available.
6. The bolt and bolt carrier. The bolt, IMHO, is the best feature of the rifle - it is a triangular shaped bolt head which provides rock solid lockup as well as little to no chance of breaking. The bolt carrier is heavy duty as well and appears indestructible.
7. Grip is interchangeable with any AR grip so long as it doesn't have the curved piece in the rear. Lots of different grips available which will fit nicely.
8. Plenty of space to mount rails and accessories - no need to worry there.
9. This thing is compact. My first thought when I actually picked it up was "is this legal"? Yes it is - meats all necessary specifications not to be labeled an SBR.

I've held a keltec .308 - it weighs about the same as the K&M - Keltec is 8.1lbs and I believe the K&N 16" is 8.2lbs.

I considered both the Keltec and the Desert Tech MDR. You can find the Keltec .308 used for around $1,000 - that's a lot less than any of the others. You won't hardly find a used K&M, and if you do they will want about what they paid for it. Same with the Desert Tech.

I didn't like the look and feel of the keltec. I'm sure it works just fine, but it is all plastic and very clunky looking and feeling. Keltec makes decent stuff that works, but why do they have to make it so butt-ugly? Or, at least make some metal panels or something that can be swapped out for the cheap plasticy looking stuff.

I considered the Desert Tech MDR and was going to go with that one before I discovered the K&M. While it has a good bit of plastic on it as well, it's design was just superior to Keltec's and it's a handsome little bullpup. What swayed me to the K&M really was the bolt. The bolt on the Desert Tech looks fragile in comparison to the one on the K&M - I just couldn't justify paying several hundred more for a gun that I felt had more fragile internals than the K&M.

As for the Tavor - People have been waiting for years for their .308 Bullpup to come out. Tomorrow tomorrow - if they ever do come out with one, I don't even know if I'd like it, and for about a year or so, you will have to pay a big premium to get one. I crossed that one off the list as I wasn't willing to wait.

When I get the chance to really run the K&M through some serious shooting, I will report - just haven't had the time lately.

The idea of having such a powerful rifle in such a small compact package really intrigues me. Some folks just love AR10's - nothing wrong with that at all, just not the same thing in my opinion.

Here's a good picture of the Desert Tech internals
https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/w...004_105927.jpg

Here's a good picture of the K&M internals
https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=h...121105.jpg&f=1

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...520161427b.jpg

Last edited by Skans; February 26, 2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old February 26, 2019, 12:58 PM   #3
Jdwin1

Skans,

Thanks, I actually was perusing my local gunshop yesterday, and the had a kel tec.

Obviously I couldn't shoot it, but I have to agree with your analysis. It is Kinda clunky.

I think I'll be putting in an order for the m17 in a few days.

Sheer curiosity how long did you have to wait before it arrived? That is between ordering and delivery.
Old February 26, 2019, 04:36 PM   #4
Skans

"Sheer curiosity how long did you have to wait before it arrived? That is between ordering and delivery."

I recall receiving the rifle about 10 days longer than the order/delivery date stated on their website. When you go to the order page, it currently says "As of February 26, 2019 We are currently running about 10-16 weeks for delivery of orders". So, I would figure that time plus maybe 10 days. I recall calling the company, and I believe I spoke with the owner, Ken. Nice guy. You won't get a fancy box with your rifle, but the rifle is a masterpiece of engineering, in my opinion - he even threw in a nice company shirt with the K&M logo. Personally, if the Tavor .308 ever does come out, I see no way it could be a better rifle than the K&M.

Tags
308 , advice needed , bullpup