The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 23, 2018, 12:01 AM   #26
TruthTellers

What's the word on the doublestack Rock Island 10mm 1911's?
Old August 23, 2018, 07:49 AM   #27
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
What's the word on the doublestack Rock Island 10mm 1911's?
I have the tactical single stack 10mm and it is a great gun. A little rough on the finish, sharp edges and tool marks but it has a good trigger and is reliable. Very accurate with my hand loads, if a little under spring for hot loads (chucks brass into the next county).

Its, so to speak, what I expect from a RIA.

As for ideal 10mm, it depends on what I want it for. I like 10mm as a backup hunting gun and in this situation I'd prefer a DW Bruin longslide.

I also like 10mm as a kickaround woods caliber for the extremely unlikely event of running into an aggressive black bear. For this I prefer Glock (in my case a modified G21).

I am intrigued by the tangfolo, but I haven't tried one but suspect I'd want it Cocked n locked and the CZ ergos/safety would annoy me.
Old August 23, 2018, 08:18 AM   #28
wnycollector

I'm the lucky owner of a S&W 1076 and couldn't be happier. Even though is a "commander" sized single stack (9+1 capacity) it is a tack driver. One added bonus is that the price of the S&W 1000 series keeps going up, which is great compared to a new production pistol looses 30-40% of its value once the hammer drops on round #1. If you decide 10mm is not for you at some point, a used S&W 10xx will yield more $$$.
Old August 23, 2018, 09:25 AM   #29
Lohman446

I have a Colt Delta Elite and a G29 in 10MM.

If I only owned one it would be the G29.

For a piece of art the Delta blows the Glock away. Let's be clear about that. The machining, the finish, the grips... WOW.

For a machine designed to send projectiles down range its not even close. The G29 is superior. That being said my accuracy is, at best, combat accuracy so others may find the Delta is more accurate than the Glock.
Old August 24, 2018, 12:30 AM   #30
m&p45acp10+1

The only 10mm I own is a stainless target model Kimber Long Slide. I like it so far. It shoots true, and even feeds, and shoots .40 S&W. It choked on Herter's 180 grain. They seem to be not hot enough. The Sig ammo, and my hand loads have run 100% so far.

Old August 24, 2018, 02:54 AM   #31
Model12Win

Sadly, the makers of hot 10mm ammo such as Double Tap and Underwood use .40 S&W bullets in their loads.

This results in overexpansion from most of them, leading to shallow penetration for JHPs.
Old August 25, 2018, 02:15 PM   #32
Buckeye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post
Sadly, the makers of hot 10mm ammo such as Double Tap and Underwood use .40 S&W bullets in their loads.

This results in overexpansion from most of them, leading to shallow penetration for JHPs.
Underwood 10mm with 180gr Gold Dots & 200gr XTP .. perform wonderfully ....

My choice for SD ammo in my 29 & 20
Old August 25, 2018, 04:22 PM   #33
COSteve

Quote:

This results in over expansion from most of them, leading to shallow penetration for JHPs.
And yet another reason to handload. BTW, my 165grn Speer GDs loaded at over 1,500fps out of my 6" custom G20L, don't have any shallow penetration issues at all. Quite the opposite, they blow right through leaving a gaping hole on the back side.
Old August 25, 2018, 06:31 PM   #34
FairWarning

For functionality and value, it's tough to beat the Glock 40. The 6" barrel allows fuller exploitation of the 10mm's potential, and WHY NOT have a relatively slim grip with 15 rounds?! This pistol proves it is easy enough to do. The fact that it costs 1/2 to 1/4 what other premium 10mms go for is a bonus. There's just one problem: I generally don't like Glocks.

The 10mm I want doesn't exist yet. It would be either a Sig 220 Elite Stainless w/double stack mag, 6" barrel, and rosewood grips, or a HK USP 10 Tactical with 5.5" barrel.

From what I've read, the 10mm can be rather harsh in a 1911 style gun, and I've seen how much softer shooting my HK USP 45 (with recoil reduction system) is vs my 1911 with the same .45 ACP ammo. So I would like an update design to make it easier to shoot full house 10mm all the time. But who knows, perhaps a 6" 1911 would absorb enough to make it more pleasant....and I know there are several of those that I want!
Old August 26, 2018, 08:21 AM   #35
agtman

Quote:
For functionality and value, it's tough to beat the Glock 40. The 6" barrel allows fuller exploitation of the 10mm's potential, and WHY NOT have a relatively slim grip with 15 rounds?! This pistol proves it is easy enough to do. The fact that it costs 1/2 to 1/4 what other premium 10mms go for is a bonus. There's just one problem: I generally don't like Glocks.

The 10mm I want doesn't exist yet. It would be either a Sig 220 Elite Stainless w/double stack mag, 6" barrel, and rosewood grips, or a HK USP 10 Tactical with 5.5" barrel.
FairWarning's post pretty much nails it.

My *ideal* 10mm pistol doesn't exist either, although a double-stack 12-14rd DA/SA stainless Sig P220 gets pretty close, at least where all-steel 10mms are concerned.

'Til then, it's the 10mm Glocks - Gen4 variant due to the grip options - but for me each quite happily fills a niche.

The G40, carried in a center-chest holster, is my dedicated 'woods/boonies/trail' gun, having replaced my old G20 in that role.

The G20, now wearing new Trijicons, has become my 'house gun' and pulls night-stand duty.

For concealed EDC in the urban zones, the compact 10+1 G29 and a spare mag are easily packed and together offer adequate capacity.

Last edited by agtman; August 26, 2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old August 26, 2018, 09:17 AM   #36
jr24

Quote:

That had not been my experience with XTP bullets, Underwood or hand load.

They may not expand a ton, but they punch through deep.
Old August 26, 2018, 12:03 PM   #37
CDW4ME

Underwood 180 Gold Dot - 12 inches penetration after 4 layer denim, even more in bare gel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Q6bEMJHpY
Old August 26, 2018, 02:40 PM   #38
Cosmodragoon

If I had to buy one today, it would probably be one of the Tanfoglio DA/SA models.

If we are talking dream guns, I'd love to see Beretta come out with a heavier duty long-slide version of their PX4. Let's call it a PX5, with that sweet rotating barrel system and definitely the low-profile controls. It should hold at least as many rounds as the PX4 does in .40 S&W. (They could also have it available in .45 Super. Then at least three or four of us would be waiting in line, right?)
Old August 26, 2018, 04:16 PM   #39
TruthTellers

^ It's a dream gun thread as I basically asked in the first post if a major manufacturer made a 10mm, what features do you want it to have. I'm not focused on who would make said 10mm, I'm more into what you want said 10mm to be. I name dropped Ruger because I like them, but also because they're supporting the handgun market a lot with their backing of .327, making 9mm carbines that take Glock (and hopefully more) mags, and coming out with very good budget concealed carry pistols.

I made the thread because I want to see what it is people want in a 10mm as there are few choices currently with 1911's, Glock, EAA Witness, and a few others. My hope is somebody who works for a company or consults with gun manufacturers occasionally browses the forums and sees the demand for 10mm is increasing, but aren't sure what we want to get into 10mm.

For me it's a long slide that has a DA/SA system and whose mags are compatible with carbines that will come out in the future.
Old August 27, 2018, 01:36 PM   #40
Cosmodragoon

As a fellow .327 enthusiast, I'm used to being on the fringe and waiting for whatever the creative department gets to mass production.

However, I'll have to agree with agtman's earlier sentiment about the low-capacity Sig offerings. I remember when Sig was getting ready to release a 10mm and Tom Gresham at Gun Talk was working with them for a special edition. I got excited but I ended up disappointed. Besides the usual $1000+ price tag, the 8-round magazines were disappointing. With that kind of capacity, semi-auto loses its main advantage over the revolvers I already have for more powerful cartridges.

This has me interested in Grand Power, which makes higher-capacity 10mm polymer-framed semi-autos and also uses a rotating barrel system. Whenever they get around to importing their long-slide version, I'll probably buy one.
Old August 27, 2018, 02:09 PM   #41
COSteve

Responding to the OP's recent post #39 just above, I think that Glock's G40 / G40 MOS is a great start. The G40 MOS if you want to add a red dot, the G40 if you like irons. I've found that the 10mm loads come alive in the longer 6" barrel vs the std 4.6" in the G20. Further, the longer barrel and slide gives a bit more weight 'up front' for better aiming and recoil control. Our neighbor bought a G20 after he shot my G20L and we've frequently shot my handloads in both platforms to compare the performance through each as well as comparing the functioning of each platform.

Our observations are as follows:
  • While the G20 is more compact with it's shorter slide, for CCW my G20L with the magwell removed is just as concealed as his stock G20. It turns out that it's not the slide that is hard to conceal, it's the grip.
  • Both of us like the balance of my G20L better with it's 4.75oz added weight at the muzzle over a stock G20. It produces a significant taming of the recoil to a stout push with little muzzle flip even with my hottest loads.
  • In hunting configuration without the magwell and loaded with 17+1rds, it still weighs only 2lbs 2oz, less than a 1911 45acp with only 7rds or a SA 45 Colt with only 6rds so it makes a great woods gun.
Old August 27, 2018, 04:55 PM   #42
Skans

Tanfoglio Stock 10mm. 15 rounds of 10mm and it feels great in my medium sized hand. DA/SA, with an excellent trigger. Smooth action, very accurate. Hard-chrome, not stainless. Hardchrome is much harder than soft stainless.
Old August 27, 2018, 11:36 PM   #43
TruthTellers

COSteve, the last thing I'm going to use a longslide 10mm for is concealed carry, so overall size is irrelevant. Besides, the Glock 20/21's have the standard Glock triggers, the 40 has the the lighter connector to reduce the pull weight.
Old August 28, 2018, 07:09 AM   #44
agtman

Quote:
Besides, the Glock 20/21's have the standard Glock triggers, the 40 has the the lighter connector to reduce the pull weight.
Yes.

Actually, my G40 has the best trigger pull of the three. The Gen4 trigger is really nice (for a Glock ).
Old August 30, 2018, 01:30 PM   #45
Ben Dover

AFAIK, the only 10MM currently manufactured that was specifically designed right from the factory to handle the high pressure of the original Bren-10 ammo is the Glock 20.

My ideal 10mm, would be a Glock 20 with 6 1/2 inch Bar-Sto barrel threaded for a comp, and extended 20 round magazine.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old August 30, 2018, 01:49 PM   #46
RickB

When Colt designed the Delta Elite, the only 10mm ammo there was, was the original Norma 170 and 200 grain ammo.
Old August 30, 2018, 05:10 PM   #47
disseminator

Quote:
When Colt designed the Delta Elite, the only 10mm ammo there was, was the original Norma 170 and 200 grain ammo.
And yet, the Delta elite cannot handle it. Several manufacturers warn of using high pressure 10mm in that gun by name.

The new one that came out in the last year or so might be able to, but not the old one.
Old August 30, 2018, 05:55 PM   #48
Rangerrich99

Ah, apparently I misunderstood the OP the fiirst time around.

If we're talking about a dream 10mm, then it'd be something like this:

Since I'd probably want to hunt with it, it'd have to have a 1911-type trigger.

Love the shape/dimensions/palm swell/multiple backstraps grip on S&W M&P 2.0s, so let's have that, just a little less aggressiveness with the stippling, so I don't need a glove to shoot more than a mag or two.

Let's make it a 1.5 stack so we get at least 10 rounds in a mag, maybe one or two more.

5- or a 6-inch match-grade barrel threaded in case I want to throw a suppressor on there

And let's have it come with a mini-rail or something on the slide so we can just pop our optic of choice on there without having to modify it first.

Last edited by Rangerrich99; August 30, 2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old August 30, 2018, 08:54 PM   #49
Dragger34

Been interested in Rock Island 1911 double stack 10mm. Had a Rock Island 45 for years, after break in it machined itself down to perfect clearances. No rattle or slop to be had. Didn't know I was getting such a tight fitting quality piece for so cheap.

Anyone have experiences with the RIA 10mm double stack?
Old August 30, 2018, 10:13 PM   #50
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Anyone have experiences with the RIA 10mm double stack?
I had a Rock Island double-stack 1911 in .45 acp. It was a little rough around the edges but it functioned flawlessly. Of course, that one might have been manufactured eight or ten years ago... Looking at reviews today, the guns look prettier than mine ever did. I'm guessing that's an effect of success and their growing popularity.

I only sold it because I discovered that I'm not a 1911 kind of guy. No, I'm not a hater. My other guns are DA/SA or revolvers so I standardized.