The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 30, 2018, 08:03 AM   #26
jwise

I run a AAC Pilot on my RAR compact .22lr and with CCI subsonic HP it is stupid quiet. Meaning, it's just the click of the firing pin striking the primer and the whap or clink of the bullet impacting the target.

Old July 30, 2018, 08:50 AM   #27
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam View Post
My Sig can is sealed. No worries, i've learned that shooting cast lead is not a problem as long as you shoot a minimal amount of cast, then shoot jacketed supers to "blast clean" all the lead deposits. I used a bore scope through my can before and after shooting cast and this method works awesome.
I’ve heard of people using this method with varying results. It’s good that you’re managing to get the lead out, but I’d worry about the extra internal wear of having little pieces of lead flying around inside my can when I’m cleaning it with full-power rifle loads. I really don’t know how much extra wear that causes (if any), but it’s something I don’t want to risk testing on my rifle cans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam View Post
I also have a smaller Revolution 45 can that is serviceable . Going to try that can on the RAR as soon as I get my thread adaptor.
If you do that using the booster assembly and a fixed-barrel spacer replacing the spring, keep in mind that you’re going to lead up your booster assembly. I believe the Revolution’s booster assembly is aluminum, so it’s going to be a pain to clean compared to the stainless baffles.

I shot a lot of .22 through my Octane 9 before I got my .22 can and I wish I hadn’t. It got the aluminum piston housing all leaded up and I was never able to clean it all out. Luckily I destroyed that can in a torture test and SilencerCo sent me a new one, so I never had to figure out how to get that lead completely out.

It looks like the piston housing assembly on the Revolution is removable (it isn’t on the Octane), so it should be easier to clean than mine was at least. Or if you’re bypassing the booster assembly and just using a dedicated direct-thread mount, that will skip the issue entirely.

All this is my way of recommending you just get a dedicated .22 can. It’s going to be a lot lighter and more compact that what you’re using now, and it’s going to be easier to clean; even easier than a serviceable pistol can since the baffles on many top-end rimfire cans are specifically designed to be easy to take apart when leaded ip.
Old July 30, 2018, 04:40 PM   #28
Road_Clam

Thanks Theohazard for your input. Griffin Armarment offers a fixed mounts for my Rev 45 can, as well as a .22 cal end cap. I think it's worth buying as I don't want to compromise my piston assembly.