The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 25, 2009, 12:47 PM   #1
Dave R

Small Rifle Primers at Cabelas!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I visited Cabelas during lunch.

There, right on the shelf, for anyone to buy, were CCI 450 small rifle (magnum) primers. They're the ones I use for my .223 load with H335 powder. (Actually, I like WRSs a little better, but the difference is negligible, and the 450s work fine.)

I haven't seen that in many months. I dunno about your Cabelas, but Boise has 'em in stock.

Does this mean the ammo shortage is coming to an end?
Old September 25, 2009, 01:00 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

The shortage still resides in the eastern states then
Old September 25, 2009, 03:40 PM   #3
Crosshair

The Scheel's in Grand Forks has a whole display case full of small rifle primers for $29.95. At least 50K of SR primers. Didn't buy any since I'm getting a large order from Grafs.
Old September 25, 2009, 05:36 PM   #4
ac700wildcat

Wow, those ones at Scheels in Forks are still there? I was there Wednesday and they had those and some small pistol mag primers. I figured they would sell out pretty quickly.
Old September 25, 2009, 06:27 PM   #5
Crosshair

Quote:
Wow, those ones at Scheels in Forks are still there? I was there Wednesday and they had those and some small pistol mag primers. I figured they would sell out pretty quickly.
I'm thinking about going and buying a bunch because I find that Grafs wants to charge me a haz-mat to ship part of my primer order as they come in instead of holding the primers until the whole order is filled.
Old September 25, 2009, 07:57 PM   #6
amamnn

Supplies seem to be getting a bit better here (Western WA)as well. There are still some shortages of different kinds of primers at different times it seems. Today our local store had lots of CCI and Federal pistol primers, but riifle primers were out. Last month it was just the opposite.
Old September 25, 2009, 08:04 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

There's definitely a shift in availability.

I don't know if it's the supply side or demand, but Gander Mountain has even had primers.... even the store that told me a few weeks ago that they hadn't seen a primer (of any kind) in months.
Old September 25, 2009, 09:48 PM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

Just picked up loading stuff at Cabelas in Owatonna MN... no primers there yet... but my local toy store has Federal Small Rfle primers on the shelf...

I'm pretty low on CCI Large Rifle primers, & will begin looking for some of those in ernest in the next month or so... hope things continue to loosen up...