The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 24, 2009, 10:48 AM   #1
McClintock

.223 seating depth problem with Lee seating die

Hi, all.

I did a quick search and couldn't really find what I was looking for, so I thought I'd ask.

I was loading some .223 ammo test loads (5 rounds each using from 26.0 gr to 27.5 gr of H335 in .5 gr. increments, still under max, according to the load manuals) last night with some Hornady 40 gr. V-Max's and 40 gr. Sierra BlitzKings. According to Lyman's #49, seating depth for the V-Max's is 2.215. Cool, I thought, so I went to set my seating die and it bottomed out before I could set the depth that deep. The shortest I could get was 2.250, so that was where I seated them. All brass was trimmed to 1.750".

Same thing with the Sierra's, (Sierra reloading manual 5th Edition) calls for a depth of 2.175", but I couldn't get them that short, either, so, 2.250" it was.

I'm using a Lee 3-die set (neck sizer, FL sizer, and seater), and I've not encountered this before. Barnes 36 gr. Varmint Grenades seated at correct depth of 2.240" with no issues... I did notice that the VG's are longer and thinner than the Hornadys and the Sierras...

Has anyone else run into this sort of thing, and if so, how did you deal with it?

Cheers!
McClintock

Last edited by McClintock; September 24, 2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: added edition of Sierra manual
Old September 24, 2009, 12:08 PM   #2
ForneyRider

I had that with FTX bullets for 30-30 and Redding dies. They sent me a different seater plug.

2.25in should work as long as you are grabbing enough of the bullet for the pressure to load up appropriately.

I had no issues with Lee dies and 40gr Sierra HP. I've since moved to Redding match dies for .223 Rem. and have had no issues with bullets 36gr to 75gr.

If you can't adjust down any further call Lee. They are great.

The 36gr VG was about the size of the 50-55gr bullets, so was easy to work with.

Last edited by ForneyRider; September 24, 2009 at 12:09 PM. Reason: 36gr VG
Old September 24, 2009, 12:43 PM   #3
dsv424

You may want to check when you raise your shell holder does it touch the bottom of your seating die. If not you could lower your seating die more in the turret and get a smaller OAL that way. Just a thought. Not sure if this could be a solution.
Old September 24, 2009, 12:51 PM   #4
Scorch

Lee dies have a "dead length seater" designed for a specific bullet ogive. If you are loading a "pointier" bullet, you COAL will be a bit longer, as you found. Screw the die in until it touches the press ram, then adjust the knurled knob on top of the die to get the COAL you want. If your die is screwed all the way in and your COAL is still too long, call Lee and they will help you out.
Old September 24, 2009, 01:11 PM   #5
McClintock

I think you hit it on the noggin, guys!

I think that's the problem. The die is touching the shell holder (shell plate, as I'm using a Lee Pro 1000 as a single stage press to load .223) plus 1/4 turn, as it says in the instructions (who says men don't read instructions? ), and the seating plug is adjusted as low as it can go, and the COAL is still too long, so, like Scorch says, the seater plug is probably not designed for the specific ogive of the Hornady and Sierra bullets...

Looks like I'll have to give Lee a call.

Thanks for the quick responses!

Cheers!
McClintock
Old September 24, 2009, 01:27 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

I've seen the same thing mentioned on another board. Lee was surprised to learn of the problem and sent him a different part. I expect it starts out as the same part, but they just don't cut the profile as deeply into it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 24, 2009, 01:32 PM   #7
Farmland

So last night I am setting up my die's to load my 223's on my Dillon 650. I couldn't believe it I couldn't get the seating die to work. The dies had hit the shell plate and I was out of room to adjust the seating stem.

I sat their for several minutes trying to figure out what was different. I would take the die out then replace it with the same results. It was only after I looked at the die that I noticed I was trying to set up my 25-06 dies for the 223.

May not be your problem but I thought I would share.