The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which would you go for and why?
Model 41 Target 28 75.68%
SW22 Victory Target 5 13.51%
Neither: What would you get instead? 4 10.81%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 5, 2018, 03:51 PM   #26
Areoflyer09

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
"...you can get a competitive target pistol..." A Smith 41 is a competitive target pistol. An $868.00 pistol is not. Despite is being from Smith's Performance Center there's no comparison between an SW22, entry level, .22 target pistol and a 41 at $1,369.00 or $1,619.00.
Mind you, it depends on what competition you're shooting. Both of 'em really need aftermarket grips too.
What is not etelling is new 41s sell near their MSRP. I’ve seen exactly one PC Victory and it was in the high 500s, not anywhere near its MSRP.

Enough used, quality 41s exist though at reasonable prices, I don’t get why people would buy them new.
Old September 5, 2018, 04:32 PM   #27
saleen322

For that much money, you can get a solid target pistol that a 41 would have a very difficult time equaling.

http://www.larrysguns.com/Department...elliBFont.aspx
Old September 6, 2018, 07:11 AM   #28
darkgael

Quote:
Quote:
The grip angle on the High Standards look weird to me. I have heard good things about them, but I don't believe they are in the same class as the Model 41.
High Standards have two grip angles, the early ones are a slant grip similar to a Ruger Mark series and the later Military grip--like a 1911 or a 41.

You really should shoot a 41 and a target High Standard at the same time.
Yep. I have shot both many times on the same line one after another. I appreciate the 41 but I still shoot the Victor.

Last edited by darkgael; September 6, 2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old September 6, 2018, 11:51 AM   #29
stephen426

I think you guys are going to make me spend some money! I'll tell my wife that .22 is much cheaper to shoot than .45 so It will balance out. Maybe I can try that logic with getting a sports car, since a small aerodynamic profile will save more fuel than large SUV. LOL
Old September 6, 2018, 04:32 PM   #30
dgludwig

Quote:
Maybe I can try that logic with getting a sports car, since a small aerodynamic profile will save more fuel than large SUV.
Sneaky strategy backfired with a boats analogy: My wife used a sense of twisted logic to point out that canoes have a "smaller aerodynamic profile" than yachts and that paddles save more fuel than motors. Drat!
Old September 6, 2018, 09:19 PM   #31
1MoreFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426 View Post
The grip angle on the High Standards look weird to me. I have heard good things about them, but I don't believe they are in the same class as the Model 41.
High Standard made pistols with two different grip angles. One was similar to a Luger and the early Ruger .22 pistols. The second was like a 1911. A High Standard Victor is every bit as nice and accurate as a Smith 41. Just be sure to shoot standard velocity only in them. They won't hold up to the high velocity stuff.
Old September 6, 2018, 09:22 PM   #32
1MoreFord

OP, on your poll I voted Smith 41 but in the real world I prefer and have a High Standard Victor. Mine is a late production original not the second incarnation.
Old September 8, 2018, 04:03 PM   #33
luger fan

The Victory is $1000+ less and I can shoot with ANY 41 on the range.
Old September 8, 2018, 04:20 PM   #34
darkgael

High Standard

It is indeed a shame that the company could not stay in business; blame who we
will, they just do not make them any more like they did in Hamden.
The Victor and its ilk.....arguably the finest American target pistols ever made.
I see fewer and fewer on the line at Camp Perry as the years pass.
The 41 is an able successor although increasingly pricey (a bargain, though, when compared to the European guns.)
Old September 8, 2018, 09:56 PM   #35
saleen322

High Standard

High Standard continues to to be the choice of a lot shooters at big matches. Of the 7 High Standards we have now; one E. Hartford, two Hamden, and four from Houston. The Hamdens are better blued and finished where the Houston pistols have stronger frames and the barrels are more accurate. The Hamdens may have a touch better trigger but not a big difference there but at 50 yards the Houston guns group a little better.

There is nothing on the web that I could find but supposedly High Standard is reforming in Montana. The address floated around is: High Standard P.O. Box 547. Fairfield, MT 59436. I hope it is true but I could not verify it.
Old September 9, 2018, 04:59 AM   #36
Model12Win

The new Model 41s come with hideous plywood (okay, laminate, whatever same thing) grips that look fake as all get out. Why so many companies, be it Ruger or Smith & Wesson etc. absolutely insist on these vs. REAL hardwood with REAL grain is beyond me. Obviously it must be cost-based. It just looks flat out terrible. At least they aren't the beet red color that is also so popular nowadays...smh.
Old September 10, 2018, 05:10 PM   #37
Areoflyer09

I picked up an 80s model 41 over the weekend. It’s not 100% perfect, it has some wear but it functions beautifully. I wasn’t looking for one but at $600 I wasn’t leaving it there.

Keep looking. There are deals out there.
Old September 10, 2018, 05:31 PM   #38
dgludwig

Any functioning Model 41, even with a lot of normal wear and tear, would still be a bargain at $600.00 imo.
Old September 10, 2018, 06:06 PM   #39
stephen426

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/784201716

I was really hoping the bidding wasn't going to be crazy on this one, but it really is a beauty. Don't think I was prepared to pay $1400 for it, even though I'm sure it is well worth it.
Old September 28, 2018, 04:21 PM   #40
Dusty Rivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
This thread is useless without pics!
You will get every penny's worth of what you pay for an old 41. This is the last gun I would give up. Deadly accurate! thousands of rounds, just clean it once in awhile. You will love love it, IF you can find one.
Old September 30, 2018, 12:56 PM   #41
Areoflyer09

The above post from Dusty made me laugh and not because it’s wrong. It’s the difference in experience I’ve had with the 41 I picked up.

The biggest thing going for it is the accuracy with quality ammo. It has incredible potential, mine just only shows it with Eley or up. It doesn’t care much for anything below that point.

Sadly I have frustrations with it.
-While the 41 can be accurate, my DW 22 revolver is more accurate with more types of ammo.
-I can’t use my typical high hold grip with the 41 as my thumb ends up rushing the edge of the slide and it won’t eject.
-Both of my built Ruger MkIIIs have cleaner triggers with noticeably less travel
-It’s less fun to just run than the Rugers

If I could rewind the clock a month, I would have bought a Volquartsen Scorpion upper instead. I don’t say that because the 41 is bad, it just doesn’t speak to me like it does with others. I don’t think I’ll be keeping this one sadly. I’m a bit disappointed with my experience so far.
Old October 1, 2018, 06:26 AM   #42
wild cat mccane

On the Hammerli, what is more proven? The "Standard" with the 6" barrel or the 4.5"?