The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 27, 2009, 08:38 AM   #1
since_1971

liquid alox on store bought rounds

Can liquid alox be used on complete store bought rounds.
I have 500 rounds of .38 for my revolver that are non jacketed lead point. looking to reduce leading.
I thought that I could dip the end can get the benefits of using the lube. Maybe thin it out, Also could swirl in a can like just like you normally would, then dry them. Would 12 ga slugs work?
Could there be a reaction to the powder? Would Alox on the brass gum up a semi auto action?

I know this might sound ridiculous to you reloading pros out there, just want to be safe, that's why im asking

Last edited by since_1971; October 27, 2009 at 08:41 AM. Reason: sp
Old October 27, 2009, 09:37 AM   #2
Domino

The portion of the bullet you would want covered in the alox is under the brass of the casing. Dipping the noses of the bullets would give little no help in reducing lead. Just go ahead and shoot them like normal, if you do get leading you can go to the store and buy the copper Choreboy type srubbing pads. Just wrap a little of the Choreboy around your cleaning brush and it takes leading out very well.
Old November 3, 2009, 08:22 AM   #3
since_1971

got it,
thanks
Old November 4, 2009, 08:58 PM   #4
Lost Sheep

Copper, not copper on any other metal

Some of the kitchen scrubbing pads are copper over steel and I have been advised not to use those to scrape out a barrel. I believe the Chore Boy brand is all copper.

I don't have personal experience with cleaning lead out of my barrels, so I am just passing on what I have heard because it makes sense.

Lost Sheep
Old November 4, 2009, 11:25 PM   #5
Sport45

I have used the copper washed steel scrubbers and have not seen any ill effects in my barrels. That's just my experience and not a recommendation for others to use the steel scrubbers.

The steel in a pot scrubber is much softer than any gun's barrel. If it wasn't it would scratch the heck out of mama's pots and pans and they wouldn't be able to sell to anyone twice. I wrap a bit around a worn bore brush so that it's not a terribly tight fit in the bore.

When I can find the copper ones I buy them if I am close to using up the last package I have. (They last a loooong time if you don't have leading issues.)
Old November 5, 2009, 09:04 AM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
Would Alox on the brass gum up a semi auto action?
D*** straight it would. Likely would have problems chambering, and extracting.

I wouldn't do what you propose at all. If you're going to, look into Rooster Jacket bullet lube. Dries much cleaner.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "